Will Luxcore stay opensource?

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
kumaran7

Will Luxcore stay opensource?

Post by kumaran7 »

Will Luxcore stay free forever?.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Will Luxcore stay opensource?

Post by Dade »

kumaran7 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:56 pm Will Luxcore stay free forever?.
It was a while I don't see this question: it wasn't a rare question for LuxRender many years ago, I think the main reason, at the time, was Indigo moving from free to use to commercial (I have vague memory of Indigo being available for free before the v1.0 :?: ).

Anyway, the point is open source software has a type of embed protection for this kind of problems: in case of a commercial switch, anyone can branch the project and continue the development for free. Indeed, you will still need someone capable to continue the development but it is still a lot safer than closed source software.

Just think to AutoDesk and the switch from perpetual licenses to pay to use .... horrible practice but if the software was open sources you would have see the rise of branched project for sure. Just think how much people hate that kind of commercial practice and how much Blender is raising thanks to that behaviors.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Martini

Re: Will Luxcore stay opensource?

Post by Martini »

Dade wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:22 pm Indigo moving from free to use to commercial (I have vague memory of Indigo being available for free before the v1.0 :?: ).
Yes, you remember correctly. I used Indigo while it was free. In fact, I am very thankful that it is no longer free, because as a result I have looked elsewhere and found LuxCore (although it was still LuxRender then)! :D

It has been done with other software too. Rhinoceros modeller used to be free also, then it went commercial and I moved to Blender. So things do sometimes work out for the better :lol:
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5995WX 64-Cores | 2x Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI | 256GB Kingston Server Premier ECC Unbuffered DDR4