Intel® Open Volume Kernel Library

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Intel® Open Volume Kernel Library

Post by Dade »

Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Intel® Open Volume Kernel Library

Post by Sharlybg »

Dade wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:25 am Interesting: https://www.openvkl.org
Nice one ;)

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Really fine... and I wonder is there any intention? Will there be time to give it some love? ;)
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kintuX wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:24 pm Really fine... and I wonder is there any intention? Will there be time to give it some love? ;)
We already support OpenVDB file format but both OpenVDB and Intel library support only CPU rendering (i.e. lack the OpenCL support) so they are useless for use on that front.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Dade wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:56 am
kintuX wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:24 pm Really fine... and I wonder is there any intention? Will there be time to give it some love? ;)
We already support OpenVDB file format but both OpenVDB and Intel library support only CPU rendering (i.e. lack the OpenCL support) so they are useless for use on that front.
From my experience, volumes are anyways too long, too hard to render on GPUs... so, just do hybrid for those too ;)
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kintuX wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:22 pm From my experience, volumes are anyways too long, too hard to render on GPUs... so, just do hybrid for those too ;)
It is a somewhat interesting idea because, at that point, I could use OpenVDB/OpenVolumeKernelLibrary CPU code (and only CPU ram to store the volume data, this would be a big plus).

However, it may work only for small, confined in space, objects (a fire, a cloud, etc.): the GPU will have to not render all paths affected by the volume so, for instance, if you use the volume for air scattering ... you would end with a CPU only rendering.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Dade wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:25 pm It is a somewhat interesting idea because, at that point, I could use OpenVDB/OpenVolumeKernelLibrary CPU code (and only CPU ram to store the volume data, this would be a big plus).

However, it may work only for small, confined in space, objects (a fire, a cloud, etc.): the GPU will have to not render all paths affected by the volume so, for instance, if you use the volume for air scattering ... you would end with a CPU only rendering.
Which, for the time being & multi core CPUs nowadays wouldn't be such a problem,
while also being another huge benefit/advantage of LuxCore VS Corona ;)