LuxCore v2.3 proposed features

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: LuxCore v2.3 proposed features

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:18 pm It looks like LuxCore roughglass material
Yes, just without the darkening problem at high roughness (check bottom vs. top row of the image).
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Dade wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:18 pm
kintuX wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:34 pm What Glass material really needs is multi-scattered surface model, one like Cycles has. Here, even Corona ain't as good 8-)
It looks like LuxCore roughglass material :?:
Yes, but well, Lux's Rough Glass is only single-scattered (dark)
LuxRoughGlass-is-singlescatter.jpg
VS Cycles multi-scattered model
CyclesRoughGlass-is-multiscatter.jpg
PS
Blender Cycles's code: Cycles: Add multi-scattering, energy-conserving GGX as an option to the Glossy, Anisotropic and Glass BSDFs (D2002)
It is based on Multiple-Scattering Microfacet BSDFs with the Smith Model
Last edited by kintuX on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

kintuX wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:28 pm
kintuX wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:34 pm What Glass material really needs is multi-scattered surface model, one like Cycles has. Here, even Corona ain't as good 8-)

LuxRoughGlass-is-singlescatter.jpg

VS Cycles multi-scattered model

CyclesRoughGlass-is-multiscatter.jpg
cycles's glass is super neat.
Maybe best course would be adding multiscattered ggx as option for the new planned transmission for disney.

I think in general disney should be a backbone for some ubermaterial. One to rule them all.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kintuX wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:28 pm
But roughness 1 ? Why ?

Anyway, I have the feeling that you can achieve the same result using NULL material with inside a volume with very high scattering (and multi-scattering enabled). It may also require BiDir + long paths. But, indeed, a specific and dedicated Microfacet model is a lot faster.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

lacilaci wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:49 pm I think in general disney should be a backbone for some ubermaterial. One to rule them all.
I prefer stay away from uber-uber-one-to-rule-all shader, since a scene with lots of different materials simply chokes and even RTX cores can't do shit about it (and we get back to CPUs ;) ). Also, how hard it is to make custom node groups (preset) with simple and fast building blocks to have at disposal (in library or in a shop).

But I do like specialized uber-shaders for cloth/textiles, carpaint, hair (missing), wood (missing), metals (just needs simplification)... in this regard I consider such ubershader as Principled or Surface shaders like the Disney's one (but updated) or introducing Autodesk Standard Surface well suited.

IMO, what LuxCore now needs is stable foundations and smaller memory footprint, but most importantly - hardcore use - standard stuff to become production proven!
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Dade wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:59 pm But roughness 1 ? Why ?
Just a proof of concept. :)

It's physically real or at least far closer than single-scattered model. To make milky, etched, brushed glass, snow... :|
Ask architects why they love naturalistic imagery, putting glass wherever they possibly can. :lol: They love to play, paint, fill spaces with light 8-)
Next to metal and concrete it is most used modern material.
I believe even lacilaci and others can confirm this is one big flaw and huge PITA for archviz artists. Also for Corona users. ;)
Dade wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:59 pm Anyway, I have the feeling that you can achieve the same result using NULL material with inside a volume with very high scattering (and multi-scattering enabled). It may also require BiDir + long paths. But, indeed, a specific and dedicated Microfacet model is a lot faster.
Yes, dedicated one (or Cycles like implementation) would be more than enough, at least for starters. :D

PS
I believe this would fix the darkening issues for fluids in a glass. Like juice, water... which would perfectly complement newly added caustics and SDS paths. And other volumetric/SSS renderings would also benefit since surface doesn't get dark!
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Mmm, I forgot a probably interesting feature: some type of fast pre-processing for automatic variance clamping :idea:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:27 am Mmm, I forgot a probably interesting feature: some type of fast pre-processing for automatic variance clamping :idea:
I would like to see less and less pre-processing rather than another "step" to add :D I also don't trust the recommended values anyways.
PetrT

Post by PetrT »

Dont know was it mentioned
Can be added sharpening menu
with modern algoritm
in tab where color managment placed
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

PetrT wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:40 am Dont know was it mentioned
Can be added sharpening menu
with modern algoritm
in tab where color managment placed
Sharpening would be nice, luxcore renders are often somewhat blurry and I need to always sharpen in post.