LuxCore v2.3 proposed features

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
jgrover110

Re: LuxCore v2.3 proposed features

Post by jgrover110 »

Dade wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:42 am This is a BlendLuxCore feature, right ? It doesn't involve LuxCore API
From my testing I was unable to get custom split normals data into the ply files used by Luxcorerender, this maybe be a limitation of the file format or just poor export tools in blender, I'm not knowledgeable enough to know. I did however find it much easier to get custom split normals to work with fbx export but unfortunately that file format isn't currently supported by Luxcorerender. Maybe supporting this may fix the issue.
Dade wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:42 am Only the shader or also a dedicated geometry primitive too ?
Both would be nice :D
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

jgrover110 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:10 am
Dade wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:42 am This is a BlendLuxCore feature, right ? It doesn't involve LuxCore API
From my testing I was unable to get custom split normals data into the ply files used by Luxcorerender, this maybe be a limitation of the file format or just poor export tools in blender, I'm not knowledgeable enough to know. I did however find it much easier to get custom split normals to work with fbx export but unfortunately that file format isn't currently supported by Luxcorerender. Maybe supporting this may fix the issue.
Yes, it's a BlendLuxCore feature, see this conversation: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... -439108323
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

lacilaci wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:59 am you said yourself that geometry isn't big issue for VRAM in luxcore, but large amount of high res textures is
We could also consider texture compression in (V)RAM, but I don't know how much work that would be (and if the speed penalty would be worse or better than with out-of-core).
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:59 am So maybe you could trace the ao/dirt mask before render with given amount of samples and then do rendering? I'm sorry I'm not sure how vray or corona or cycles do these shaders internally (here's how vray dirtmap looks like: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRA ... C+VRayDirt)
Yes, that is my idea, some kind of pre-processing. As far as I remember, Cycles trace additional rays inside the shader.
lacilaci wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:59 am As for texture, I meant it like "out of core" feature just for textures, you said yourself that geometry isn't big issue for VRAM in luxcore, but large amount of high res textures is.
So maybe this could be a toggle in render settings, where I would enable using just system ram for textures for some speed penalty...?
This is a feature already available from GPU vendors/drivers (and requires hardware support). AMD offers this feature for Vega and Navi GPU.

It is a while it is available from NVIDIA but I have the feeling it is available only with CUDA, not sure.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:32 am
lacilaci wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:59 am you said yourself that geometry isn't big issue for VRAM in luxcore, but large amount of high res textures is
We could also consider texture compression in (V)RAM, but I don't know how much work that would be (and if the speed penalty would be worse or better than with out-of-core).
Compression would still have the advantage of being available for any GPU (no matter of the hardware capabilities). GPUs have hardware support for compressed textures, unfortunately, it is something not exposed trough OpenCL.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:36 am GPUs have hardware support for compressed textures, unfortunately, it is something not exposed trough OpenCL.
How is it exposed then? OpenGL?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:41 am
Dade wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:36 am GPUs have hardware support for compressed textures, unfortunately, it is something not exposed trough OpenCL.
DirectX for sure, I assume in OpenGL too.

OpenCL has samplers (https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenCL ... plers.html), they are used to expose hardware color interpolation, they could be also be used to expose hardware support for compressed texture ... but OpenCL is a dead dinosaur :roll:
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:02 am
B.Y.O.B. wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:41 am
DirectX for sure, I assume in OpenGL too.

OpenCL has samplers (https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenCL ... plers.html), they are used to expose hardware color interpolation, they could be also be used to expose hardware support for compressed texture ... but OpenCL is a dead dinosaur :roll:
Luxcore 2.4 - Optix replaces OpenCL :D :twisted:
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:05 am Luxcore 2.4 - Optix replaces OpenCL :D :twisted:
I'm buying a new PC (my i7 3930K is really old and I worried it will explode first or later). At the moment I can not find a damn 3900X anywhere and I'm also waiting for the release of the 3950X too. I'm likely to buy a RTX 2070 Super as GPU ... I know myself ... how many days I will resist ?

Fu@k small and quality of life features, I will add CUDA/Optix support has an option to the poll :mrgreen:
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

Dade wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:18 am Fu@k small and quality of life features, I will add CUDA/Optix support has an option to the poll :mrgreen:
Yes please! :D