LuxCore v2.3 proposed features

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Re: LuxCore v2.3 proposed features

Post by marcatore »

Dade wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:18 am Fu@k small and quality of life features, I will add CUDA/Optix support has an option to the poll :mrgreen:
Probably you wrote with a smile on face, but as I can't see you, I can't understand the reason why supporting CUDA/Optix exclude "small and quality of life features"?

Because supporting CUDA needs to rewrite everything and so, before add feature you prefer to make this "switch" or because your development time will be full drained by this CUDA/Optix support?

Which benefit will have us with this? (and consider I'm with Nvidia in any PC I use)
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

marcatore wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:28 am Probably you wrote with a smile on face, but as I can't see you, I can't understand the reason why supporting CUDA/Optix exclude "small and quality of life features"?

Because supporting CUDA needs to rewrite everything and so, before add feature you prefer to make this "switch" or because your development time will be full drained by this CUDA/Optix support?
Yes, it is not a small undertaking, it will cost a lot of time so, given the limited amount of time/resources, it would delay the development of other stuff.
marcatore wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:28 am Which benefit will have us with this? (and consider I'm with Nvidia in any PC I use)
An hypothetical LuxCore "PATHRTX" render engine is likely to run quite faster than current LuxCore "PATHOCL" render engine on NVIDIA RTX GPUs (the one with hardware acceleration). It may also run a bit faster on older NVIDIA GPUs supported by OptiX (because their code is likely to be faster than our generic OpenCL code even without RTX hardware).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

But AMD users will still be able to LuxCore with this switch?

Or it's just "another" option: CPU, OPENCL and CUDA/OPTIX ?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

marcatore wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:48 am But AMD users will still be able to LuxCore with this switch?

Or it's just "another" option: CPU, OPENCL and CUDA/OPTIX ?
Yes, it will be another option only available if you have a RTX capable GPU.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Someone needs to call nvidia and tell them the news...

Luxcore is gonna become the next RTX benchmarking tool of choice :D
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

For me by priority :

1__ Reduced average time before rendering start ( caches, opencl compilation, scene data loading )

2__ Micro Displacement (adaptive subdivision / Vector displacement )

3__ Hybrid Glass

4__ support for 3D LUT (.cube)

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

but OpenCL is a dead dinosaur
As opencl is an open standar what is going to be set as a replacement worldwide not only for luxcore ?

marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

I've forgotten another high priority for Blender addon: preview textures on viewport
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Sharlybg wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:46 am
but OpenCL is a dead dinosaur
As opencl is an open standar what is going to be set as a replacement worldwide not only for luxcore ?
The only hope is to have Intel come out with a really good GPU (very unlikely, given their endless number of past failures) and, at that point, they will need to expose their hardware trough some computing standard to fight CUDA. But it probably easier to win at lottery...
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

The only hope is to have Intel come out with a really good GPU (very unlikely, given their endless number of past failures) and, at that point, they will need to expose their hardware trough some computing standard to fight CUDA. But it probably easier to win at lottery...
like it isn't going to happen very soon : https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... -khr&num=2