PhotonGI caustic cache re-factoring

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: PhotonGI caustic cache re-factoring

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:14 am What do you mean ? Faster compared to ? The cache look up is done only for SDS paths so there are a lot less cache look up (I assume you mean this). However the cache creation time (and update) is exactly the same (a caustic is a caustic and I can not know if it will be seen trough a specular surface
Yes, in my pool scene I keep running out of Vram with a lot of photons, so I'm hoping if they're sds only I can use high photon numbers and keep rendering using openCL
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:19 am
Dade wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:14 am What do you mean ? Faster compared to ? The cache look up is done only for SDS paths so there are a lot less cache look up (I assume you mean this). However the cache creation time (and update) is exactly the same (a caustic is a caustic and I can not know if it will be seen trough a specular surface
Yes, in my pool scene I keep running out of Vram with a lot of photons, so I'm hoping if they're sds only I can use high photon numbers and keep rendering using openCL
You are probably using too many photons: you can cut the amount of the photons and the updated period in half and obtain about the same result (using half of the ram) with a bit more overhead.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:25 am
lacilaci wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:19 am
You are probably using too many photons: you can cut the amount of the photons and the updated period in half and obtain about the same result (using half of the ram) with a bit more overhead.
hm, thanks for the tip, I forgot about update period settings...

next up, hybrid glass? :D would like to render finals already :D
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:28 am next up, hybrid glass? :D would like to render finals already :D
Going to open a pool with some idea for v2.3, etc.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

hm.. Something's not right here

useonlyforsds 0
usesds0.jpg
useonlyforsds 1
usesds1.jpg
volume setup
volumesetup.jpg
material setup
materialsetup.jpg
I'm not getting any light bounces within water

EDIT:

I get reflections back if I set light tracing glossiness threshold to 1 (I guess caustic cache uses same threshold value?)
volume still looks wrong

but rendering freezes at some point
Last edited by lacilaci on Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

Dade wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:46 am I have added the option to use the caustic cache only for SDS paths:

This is some serious beauty :D
This looks great!
When will the first v2.3alpha0 be released?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:07 pm I get reflections back if I set light tracing glossiness threshold to 1 (I guess caustic cache uses same threshold value?)
There are two different properties for Caustic cache and Hybrid rendering at the moment. They must be set at the same value.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:49 pm
lacilaci wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:07 pm I get reflections back if I set light tracing glossiness threshold to 1 (I guess caustic cache uses same threshold value?)
There are two different properties for Caustic cache and Hybrid rendering at the moment. They must be set at the same value.
Ok, but what about volumes? Everything is super dark if I enable sds only.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Actually even if you don't use any volume you will get very different lighting with sds only cache

useforsdsonly = 0
usesdsonly0.jpg
useforsdsonly = 1
usesdsonly1.jpg
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:42 pm Actually even if you don't use any volume you will get very different lighting with sds only cache
Very different lighting compared to ? If the only difference is useforsdsonly = 0/1 and you are keeping hybrid rendering enabled: you are rendering the normal caustics 2 times in one case.