Path Space Regularization (aka the solution to SDS paths)

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Path Space Regularization (aka the solution to SDS paths)

Post by Dade »

I have written a "proof of concept" based on "Path Space Regularization for Holistic and Robust Light Transport" (https://cg.ivd.kit.edu/english/PSR.php). This should represent a solution to the problem of rendering SDS paths with Hybrid Back/Forward path tracing.

This is a rendering of my standard SDS/caustics test scene with normal path tracing:

path.jpg

No caustics, no SDS paths, just few fireflies here and there.

This is the same scene rendered with light tracing:

light.jpg

Nice caustics but light tracing is not able to render directly visible specular surfaces at all.

This is the same scene rendered with light tracing and a very first hacked code for "Path Space Regularization":

light-psr.jpg

Being able to render a mirror (even if blurred) with a light tracer is quite remarkable result. Indeed, I was not looking for an alternative (blurred) way to render mirrors but to the ground caustic reflected on the mirror (i.e. the SDS paths). That piece of information will enrich Hybrid Back/Forward path with the capability to render SDS paths.

This feature is schedule for v2.3.

P.S. I will held hostage the code until the final release of v2.2 :mrgreen:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Path Space Regularization (aka the solution to SDS paths)

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:29 pm
This feature is schedule for v2.3.

P.S. I will held hostage the code until the final release of v2.2 :mrgreen:
Aw yeaah...
So let's release 2.2 today evening and first 2.3 daily tomorrow morning, there you go problem solved :lol:

Ok, but seriously, this looks very promising!
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:45 pm So let's release 2.2 today evening and first 2.3 daily tomorrow morning, there you go problem solved :lol:
I will be out of the town for few days :mrgreen:

P.S. v2.2 starts to look like a final release, we shouldn't be too far from the release date.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

Dade wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:29 pm I have written a "proof of concept" based on "Path Space Regularization for Holistic and Robust Light Transport" (https://cg.ivd.kit.edu/english/PSR.php). This should represent a solution to the problem of rendering SDS paths with Hybrid Back/Forward path tracing.
Thanks for the teaser, looks very promising!
In the paper they mention it runs on GPU, Iooks like it will also be a fast solution :shock:

And the paper is from 2013, has this been implemented elsewhere or will LuxCore be first?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

epilectrolytics wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:22 pm In the paper they mention it runs on GPU, Iooks like it will also be a fast solution :shock:
It will run on CPU in our case because the light tracing is done there in our Hybrid Back/Forward path tracing but it isn't a big deal because the CPU will really handle only caustics and SDS paths and nothing else.
epilectrolytics wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:22 pm And the paper is from 2013, has this been implemented elsewhere or will LuxCore be first?
It has been implemented in a couple of demo but I'm not aware of its usage in any big commercial render engine.
provisory

Post by provisory »

I really like this direction!

I've found an easy to understand comparison video between VCM and Path Space Regularization:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc9zu5-O7Eo

So, if I understand correctly, the degree of the "blur" is adjustable, and it is the quality vs. speed variable here.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

provisory wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:46 pm So, if I understand correctly, the degree of the "blur" is adjustable, and it is the quality vs. speed variable here.
Yes, more initial bias => more blurred =>"faster" but it is unbiased so it will converge to the right solution (first or later).
provisory

Post by provisory »

Very exciting, can't wait to test it! :)
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Nice progresse Dade. Thanks for sharing such nice info to us.

Btw why the psor glass look so dark in the new algo aka PSR ? I mean compared to regular path tracing render.

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

This is the first rendering with integration between hybrid backward/forward path tracing and path space regularization:

psr.jpg

It is good but a bit too blurred/noised/slow to render SDS paths.