Disney BRDF material

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Disney BRDF material

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

sarmath

Post by sarmath »

Thanks for your help guys...its working now :)
WIndows 11 Pro Ryzen 7 5700x RTX 3090 32 GB RAM
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Is there anyway to get the old build package model. I mean lastest blendluxcore bundle with lastest correct luxcore so anyone can download a simple single package that can be installed as normal blendluxcore builds.

This will simplify download and install fresh build and increase the number of beta testor and help accelerate development i think.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

The current situation is: if you want a pre-made build that is easily installed, you have to wait for the next alpha/beta release.
If you want the bleeding edge, you have to read the first three posts here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=736#p7617 and in general do a few more clicks and stay up to date with recent development (e.g. the opening of the 2.79 branch).

What I would find cool would be an Azure script that creates a new BlendLuxCore daily build whenever:
a) a LuxCore daily build is published
b) a commit is pushed to the BlendLuxCore repo
But it would be a bit of work + requires knowledge of Azure scripts (which I don't have at the moment).
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Found Disney's Specular value rendered with OCL a bit brighter than CPU/BiDiR.

Note: Only blue material. Difference shown in yellow.
Although there's a small difference in Glossy too (Red material, Dif. in Blue)

Raw @ 128 samples
BiDir
Disney_BiDir.png
CPU
Disney_CPU.png
OCL
Disney_OCL.png
CPU - OCL Difference
Disney_OCL-CPU(Difference).png
Last edited by kintuX on Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

Dade wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:24 pm Side note

There is a theoretical advantage in using disney BRDF for all materials in a scene when rendering on GPUs: lack of threads divergence. In theory GPUs while evaluate a lot faster a scene where each hit point requires to run the same material code (threads can run the code in parallel instead of having to serialize the execution of divergent code).

It would be interesting to do some test with a scene using many LuxCore materials and the same scene using only the LuxCore Disney material to check if there is a real advantage on GPUs or not.
Good news:
My test scene renders faster indeed with all materials on Disney shader and PathOCL GPU!
Dny.gif
Bad news:
When trying to render with PGI indirect cache + Disney materials Blender crashes or I get a black render with a console warning: nothing is visible and/or cache enabled :cry:
(edit: scene link removed because error identified.)
Also I noticed unlike matte or glossy Disney material is one sided = black on the back side.
Last edited by epilectrolytics on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Found Disney's Specular value rendered with OCL a bit brighter than CPU/BiDiR.

Note: Only blue material. Difference shown in yellow.
Although there's a small difference in Glossy too (Red material, Dif. in Blue)
There is a huge specularity dif between your render test :shock: . Bidir is far less specular while OCl GPU is like adding another coating layer. and simple CPU is like a mix of them.

Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Good news:
My test scene renders faster indeed with all materials on Disney shader and PathOCL GPU!
That is really nice ! and like the dif will be more visible in complexe scene ;)

Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

The current situation is: if you want a pre-made build that is easily installed, you have to wait for the next alpha/beta release.
If you want the bleeding edge, you have to read the first three posts here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=736#p7617 and in general do a few more clicks and stay up to date with recent development (e.g. the opening of the 2.79 branch).

What I would find cool would be an Azure script that creates a new BlendLuxCore daily build whenever:
a) a LuxCore daily build is published
b) a commit is pushed to the BlendLuxCore repo
But it would be a bit of work + requires knowledge of Azure scripts (which I don't have at the moment).
Thanks you for remind me this link. if it is that complicated please it is not worth it forget that :mrgreen:

epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

Sharlybg wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:41 pm That is really nice ! and like the dif will be more visible in complexe scene ;)
It is really amazing how the LuxCore Devs create a speed boost every two weeks or so.
Who would have thought that Disney is faster on GPU??
While on CPU BiDir in my first test it was slower!