Env. Light Visibility Cache

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Env. Light Visibility Cache

Post by lacilaci »

Right now in daily builds it looks like this:

luxcore:
cornelluxcore.png
e-cycles:
cornellecycles.png
the e-cycles doesn't use portal but luxcore does use vis. map... This is because in such simple scenario portal for e-cycles doesn't make any difference.

What I find very interesting is that sidewalls and ceiling is much cleaner in e-cycles, but back wall is cleaner in luxcore.

Another important thing is that I used spp as halt factor for both renderers so each is 100 samples(I do know it's not the same thing for every renderer)
But still e-cycles was done in 6 seconds while luxcore 12. While I learned by now that luxcore gets better than ecycles as complexity of the scene grows, it is still beyond me how noisy soft shadows are in luxcore.

This noise in shadows gets impossible to clean in some cases:
oldvismap.png
I assume however that atm the new system isn't enabled by default...?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

The code is currently on the "envmap_cache" branch (https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... vmap_cache) so it is not part of the daily build. I have still to write several parts to be able to render any scene, support OpenCL, etc. I will merge the branch when the CPU code is done so it can be tested.

It will available as an option like visibility map (but not enabled by default).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Oh, I see... I was confused by azure:
azs.JPG
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

This method is very similar to a guided method. It "guides" only for env. light sources but it could "guides" for any kind of incoming light (direct and indirect).
This could be super striking to have guided method over Env + Area + Meshlight + point & spotlight MIXED with Photon GI cache will rock like Sun Core :twisted:

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Yeah I actually wonder, could this help sampling heavy meshlights?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:13 pm Yeah I actually wonder, could this help sampling heavy meshlights?
Not this specific cache but the guided generic extension aiming for any kind of light source, it would.

However it must be clear that it is pretty much "Path+GPU+PhotonGI" Vs "BiDir+CPU+Guided sampling" (i.e. guided sampling make most sense to accelerate BIDir and if it is worth doing, it is quite debatable compared "Path+GPU+PhotonGI").
provisory

Post by provisory »

Do you think Path+PhotonGI caustics will ever be able to fully substitute BiDir? (glossy, volumes, etc.)
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

And some sort of light grouping and approximation isn't possible? With hi-poly meshes that have same material..
provisory

Post by provisory »

provisory wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:36 pm Do you think Path+PhotonGI caustics will ever be able to fully substitute BiDir? (glossy, volumes, etc.)
I just realized, that maybe this sounded a little offensive. I only wanted to ask what to expect in the future.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

However it must be clear that it is pretty much "Path+GPU+PhotonGI" Vs "BiDir+CPU+Guided sampling" (i.e. guided sampling make most sense to accelerate BIDir and if it is worth doing, it is quite debatable compared "Path+GPU+PhotonGI").
So do you mean there is no gain in speed by adding guiding method on top of PhotonGI ?

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA