luxcoreui error sensetivity

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
nigec

luxcoreui error sensetivity

Post by nigec »

Is it possible to have error reporting in different categories?
Sketchup is a very lazy way of modeling and if you use models from sources like the Warehouse there's going to be all sorts of unwanted cr** that you can't see but will inevitably stop luxcoreui and probably not part of the scene
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: luxcoreui error sensetivity

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

It is the responsiblity of exporter plugins to ensure that a scene does not cause a runtime error in LuxCore.
For example, in the Blender addon I detect missing images during export and replace them with a warning color: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... ap.py#L176
nigec

Post by nigec »

I would of thought it would justify a warning rather than the ui failing to run without warning, it just seems overly sensitive
Anyway i see the problem and its something I can avoid when I do my preview
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

It makes development of LuxCore easier because LuxCore devs don't have to think about how to continue with a missing image, how to recover from this error.
And if the error is handled in the exporter plugin, the plugin author can implement additional stuff that is helpful for the user - like the error log in BlendLuxCore. Also, different 3D programs have different conventions for handling errors. For example, in Blender missing images are signalled with a violet color. Other 3D packages might use black or grey or a warning pattern or something else.
nigec

Post by nigec »

I'll bare it in mind.
I've isolated the problem, it looks like a hack for a 3rd party plugin