MaxToLux - Autodesk 3ds Max Integration for LuxCoreRender

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
patro

Re: MaxToLux - Autodesk 3ds Max Integration for LuxCoreRender

Post by patro »

TAO wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:53 pm
B.Y.O.B. wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:42 pm Mirroring probably makes all normals point in the other direction.
Some LuxCore materials act differently depending if it's a backface or frontface, e.g. glossy is only specular on the frontface, but behaves like matte on the backface (https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCore/issues/301).

You should probably check how other renderers in 3ds max handle this and follow their behaviour. Maybe they detect mirrored objects and flip their normals.
Fliping the normal is exactly the case. That's the same for others rendered like Arnold and even viewport in case of visible reflection. they already add it in the knowing issue in Autodesk knowledge.
The issue will affect only the reflection, as it said on the Autodesk page.
Screenshot 2021-03-26 155146.jpg
Meanwhile, knowing about the issue, I started to edit my scenes, where the mirror tool was used. Adding xform+ normals modifier works fine, unfortunately it will affect all instances ie original geometry as the mirrored counterpart, making become the modifier as reference depending on the geometry might lead to crash if highpoly and high in count.

The best and fastest way is simply to mirror by using "mirror tool" by selecting "reference", this will ad automatcally on the flipped objects and only on those, the xform+normal modifier. Instancing is mantained. I see that after doing so the mirrored geometry is black, turning off or deleting the normal modifier fix it. MaxtoLux renders like a charm.

for those interested, dealing with modifiers on large scenes I suggest to look for a free script "bga_deletemodifiers_v2.ms"

I think that autodesk won't work on the mirror tool code to update it, I see it's been long time this issue is reported and known,
The reference option is the work around.
a1-kh

Post by a1-kh »

I’m really sorry to hear of your loss.These are very difficult times, and to imagine how our lives have changed is beyond our limits. Our families are our bonds, to lose part of our bonds is hard to cope with. I hope, that you and all your family would have the strength. Be strong, for your own family, so you can give them the strength for your cope with these harsh times. Be strong bro. Be strong.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

patro wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:08 pm
TAO wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:59 pm Unfortunately, my brother passed away today morning after 5 days of fighting with Covid-19.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to deliver the new build as I promised but as I really need a distraction I'll try my best.
Sorry to hear, please accept my condolences. You should take your time for mourning. Maxtolux can wait.
Thank you, patro.
you are very kind.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Ericka wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:15 pm
TAO wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:59 pm Unfortunately, my brother passed away today morning after 5 days of fighting with Covid-19.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to deliver the new build as I promised but as I really need a distraction I'll try my best.
I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. God bless you and your family.
Thank you Ericka. it was a shock to us.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

a1-kh wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:36 am I’m really sorry to hear of your loss.These are very difficult times, and to imagine how our lives have changed is beyond our limits. Our families are our bonds, to lose part of our bonds is hard to cope with. I hope, that you and all your family would have the strength. Be strong, for your own family, so you can give them the strength for your cope with these harsh times. Be strong bro. Be strong.
Thank you, a1-kh.
I can not still believe this has happened.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Accept my sincere condolences.
& Keep your heart bright.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

kintuX wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:27 am Accept my sincere condolences.
& Keep your heart bright.
Thank you kintuX. it's nice to hear that.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

in the meanwhile, I'll try to release a new build with many bug fixes and features.
instance and reference support
render time report
many maps, and materials fixes
improve stability
better memory management
disable viewport draw during the render time
slightly faster render time
huge improvement for object translation
Supporting 3dsmax 2022
Fixe wrong fog environment issue
Fixe conflict with V-ray toon effect
Better GPU memory handling by using instance objects
Fix the first line of render output is always black
Flip normal for mesh light
Fix the issue with FileSaver enable when saving project 3dsmax will crash on opening the project later
Suspend undo, macro recorder, animation, auto backup during render time
Fix changing in halt condition cause crash
And many more.
patro

Post by patro »

@TAO
time heals all wounds :(

About MaxToLux we will be waiting, so don't worry.
Ericka

Post by Ericka »

I see a few issues that i reported in Github.
First, Power, Divide, subtract, less and greaterthan maps slots are gray and can not be assigned to any kind of maps.
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/MaxToLux/issues/64
Second, Changing maps on map/material slots not showing instantly and need refreshing the parameters.
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/MaxToLux/issues/65