MaxToLux - Autodesk 3ds Max Integration for LuxCoreRender

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
patro

Re: MaxToLux - 3ds Max Integration for LuxCoreRender

Post by patro »

TAO wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:48 pm In the meanwhile, I manage to fix the problem with rotate, scale and modifying the instance objects and that's a piece of good news.
Oh great, then I'm not going to report this problem as shown in the render, all seams are istances of the one and same one.
As you can see the seams have 2 colors, the correct one is the one which show same color as the strap, the other one on the right side of the strap, beside being instances are also mirrored instances, When so they render like matte but with color. straps and seams has 2 different glossy 2 materials.
I'm sure your next build is going to fix this.
seams.jpg
@Dade La tua mamma può essere fiera di te :D I rendered this image for just 119 passes without to apply denoiser in the end, I can assure you, the render has better quality and speed then the same image rendered by v.ray ;) I know you aren't interested in pride, but hey LuxCore is done mostly by you and few others, not by a brigade of devs.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

I really enjoy your render, it's perfect. just change the background in composite and make it a little bit more focused in the center with darkening the edges.
patro

Post by patro »

TAO wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:33 pm I really enjoy your render, it's perfect. just change the background in composite and make it a little bit more focused in the center with darkening the edges.
Thank you, I apreciate. It's just a test render to see how the seams get rendered. The background is the ibl.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

patro wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:37 pm
TAO wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:33 pm I really enjoy your render, it's perfect. just change the background in composite and make it a little bit more focused in the center with darkening the edges.
Thank you, I apreciate. It's just a test render to see how the seams get rendered. The background is the ibl.
Yes, that's why I said change it in the composite.
I do not think the color of the strap is caused by an instance problem or such things it is more likely a normal problem or any other mesh-related issue.
patro

Post by patro »

TAO wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:42 pm
I do not think the color of the strap is caused by an instance problem or such things it is more likely a normal problem or any other mesh-related issue.
it is the color of the seams, the strap itself vis perfect, maybe the transform cause this color-normals issue because they are ^mirrored^ meshes?
but you anticipated to have fix the issue with scaling transform, so maybe next week when i'll try the new build, the issue will be fixed.

btw, the seams are editable meshes not body objects.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

patro wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:00 pm
TAO wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:42 pm

it is the color of the seams, the strap itself vis perfect, maybe the transform cause this color-normals issue because they are ^mirrored^ meshes?
but you anticipated to have fix the issue with scaling transform, so maybe next week when i'll try the new build, the issue will be fixed.

btw, the seams are editable meshes not body objects.
I see, report it, so i can add it to to-do list.
patro

Post by patro »

Hi TAO, I re did the seams of the watch, so to look like real one.
Playing with the materials, i noticed that the transform-normals of the geometry is affected in the render, when I use glossy 2, and other materials.

in the 2 renders you see the first with velvet which looks ok, both the seams looks same also the mirrored one. and so they do with lux archglass. Lux cloth, lux glossy coating(depending from the base material), lux matte translucent, Lux metal. Lux mirror, Lux Null, lux rough matte, lux velvet.
luxcore 8.5 5 leather wrist11-2.jpg
while with glossy2, carpaint, lux glass, glossy translucent, lux light, Lux mix (has a bug as-reported), Lux rough glass, the mirrored seams looks wrong.
luxcore 8.5 5 leather wrist111-.jpg
it becomes very visible with llux light
lux light.jpg

This is just a note, which I'm going to report on github
switching maps or adding maps to the textures materilas slot works fine in all materials, beside those reported in github,
But in some materials the adding and swapping of the maps, is not istantly visible,
With this is meant, that when you add a map to a slot, the slot look empty, but the map is there, to make visible that in that map slot there is a map, you have to swith between materials.
Materials which support istantly visibility of adding and swapping of maps are: lux archglass, carpaint, lux cloth, lux glass, lux glossy coating, lux light, lux matte translucent, Lux mirror, Lux rough glass, lux rough matte, lux velvet.

Beside in my opinion, if I render somenthing with glossy2, which has a diffuse bitmap, the resulting render hardly shows the bitmap color, to be shown the Specular should be set to pure black. To notice that 3ds Max Gamma Lut is disabled, as suggest.
the above wrist later, has glossy2 with the below diffuse texture, specular is set in rgb 128 128 128, roughness are both set to 0.5
If I would decrease roughness the color would become less and less noticiable. But I guess that it needs a eter example, maybe a white marble texture.
pige006 color rope.jpg
patro

Post by patro »

About diffuse texture color.
Roughness used for glossy2 is 0.4 0.4 the reflection is set to monoschrome. Gamma of maxtolux is set to 2.2, 3ds mx gamma lut disabled. gamma for the texture is (automatic) the orangish color in the render comes from a warm light plane.
image 1 and 2 are one and the same setting, just to show the map, the viewport and the render result as you see the reflection is set to pure black.
2.jpg
1.jpg
look like image 3 here below, which is rendered with Lux matte with bitmap texture in the diffuse slot,
3 textured matte.jpg
the 2 following renders are made with lux glossy2, the same marble bitmap texture in diffuse slot, only changes in the reflection amount.
ref color rgb 128 128 128
ref 128.jpg
ref color rgb 225 225 225
ref 225.jpg
Is how i get rendered the texture correct, or am I missing something?
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Disable the gamma in 3dsmax, as i can see it is activated. currently, 3dsmax gamma and LuxCore gamma all work at the same time. i did not still did not find a way to disable it with code. just try to disable it manually. Also, change 3dsmax units to centimeters or meters will be the best to work with LuxCore.
For the other part look at the next post, you need to add a specular map in order to reduce the reflection and handle the material, that's how glassy materials works in LuxCore.
Screenshot 2021-03-16 161316.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-16 161255.jpg
Last edited by TAO on Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

3 different examples of how to use glossy materials. With and without specular map and roughness.
for better results you need to add a specular map in order to reduce the reflection and handle the material, Also, check IOR, and roughness values, that's how glassy materials work in LuxCore.
Screenshot 2021-03-16 162409.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-16 163009.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-16 163146.jpg
Another example with matte and glossy
Screenshot 2021-03-16 204409.jpg