Tile by tile Rendering

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Re: Tile by tile Rendering

Post by CodeHD »

Reading this, I am not sure if everyone is talking about the same sort of tiling...

It sounds to me as if the luxcore-tiling uses dynamic sampling conditions for each tile?

As far as I am aware, cycles just splits the rendering into segments, but otherwise renders the same. The (quite significant) performance differences found are being explained by different overhead, memory and cache usages. Read e.g. here, here, here or here. There are also reports of the GPU-behaviour being different with 2.8 (here), maybe in conjuction with the new CPU+GPU feature and the opposite behaviour of the two regarding tile size?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

CodeHD wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:49 pm It sounds to me as if the luxcore-tiling uses dynamic sampling conditions for each tile?
Yes but it is optional, when disabled, it will work like Cycles (i.e. a constant amount of samples for each pixel and tile).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
provisory

Post by provisory »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:13 pm For example if you have an object which is hard to render, but doesn't cover much space in the image, surrounded by background (easy to render).
In this case full image sampling would waste a lot of samples on the background, even with adaptive sampling, while tiled rendering would stop rendering the background after the second pass.
This means to me, that adaptive sampling could be improved a lot. By the way my experiences also show this.