camera white balance

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

camera white balance

Post by lacilaci »

Is it possible to get per camera white balance controls with blackbody value?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: camera white balance

Post by lacilaci »

no?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:38 pm It's not implemented yet: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=245&p=7743&hilit=wh ... ance#p7743
Well I did notice it is not implemented yet... :D thanks for letting me know.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I think the photographer addon uses the RGB curves in the color management in the background.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Thanks for the suggestion, I used photographer addon in past. It is great and especially being able to pick resolution per camera...
But I still think luxcore should have proper wb controls when using realistic sun and sky. It already has advacned camera controls, like abberations and vignetting and autofocus.
chafouin

Post by chafouin »

Sorry to revive that thread (I don't have rights to create new ones?), I am the guy behind Photographer and I'm looking to make it work seamlessly with LuxCoreRender (which might become my go-to render engine).

While White Balance may work fine with Photographer, the camera exposure values aren't correct. However, I don't know who to trust in this sea of engines where none seem to nail actual radiance values (or completely ignore EV).

For instance, if I add a sun and sky in Lux Render, and set my camera exposure in Lux to realistic values, the image is way too dark, which means the intensities of the sun and sky (or the exposure settings) aren't correct. They also don't have any specific units and only have a Gain setting.

I will do tests with the other lamps to find if the camera exposure settings are correct. If they are, then there is a discrepency with Cycles that I want to fix with my addon, which would hopefully help with using real values in Cycles as well. But it would also mean Lux Sun and Sky is incorrect.

Do you have more information about the accuracy of sun, sky and lamp units in LuxCore?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Hi,

What are the camera values you're using that you get dark sun&sky.

Sun and sky is actually way more stronger in luxcore than in cycles for example and you might even need very high clamping values so that you won't cut off too much power (like 100000 or similar)

As for camera settings, if I use something like F8 at 1/1000 at 100 iso, which is what I'd use for sports shooting in outside clear sunny day, I will get +/- correct exposure for sun(sunlit object).

But again, it is important to use high clamping values! Very low clamping values, like 1-10 or 1000 can actually work only in an artificially setup scene with studio lights or fake sun and sky. But if you use these with sky and connected sun at their default power, your rendering will look very dark, flat and wrong.
chafouin

Post by chafouin »

Okay I'm not sure what I did wrong, it wasn't clamped, but just started a new fresh scene and it follows the sunny 16 rule right out of the box.
So intensities seem correct, my apologies!

I'll use this as a reference then (and fix Photographer as it seems it is a couple of EV off...).