Light strategies and importance change lighting

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Racleborg

Re: Light strategies and importance change lighting

Post by Racleborg »

Here's what you have to do, or could try. Use clamping value of 100 000

I do do use that approach too. The idea of Dade's to be able to just eliminate the fireflies, appeals to me.
I personally just abuse it too much cause I think that something is terribly boken
Maybe I am misunderstanding something here: Isn't Lux based on the idea of using true physical values, in which case if values are not realistic then doesn't that cause a conflict somewhere?

Like I say, I'm a learner so please point me in the right direction.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Racleborg wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:18 pm
Here's what you have to do, or could try. Use clamping value of 100 000

I do do use that approach too. The idea of Dade's to be able to just eliminate the fireflies, appeals to me.
I personally just abuse it too much cause I think that something is terribly boken
Maybe I am misunderstanding something here: Isn't Lux based on the idea of using true physical values, in which case if values are not realistic then doesn't that cause a conflict somewhere?

Like I say, I'm a learner so please point me in the right direction.
I do hope that luxcore isn't an ideology and all that unbiased bs that simply don't exist. "true" values mean nothing if no one can use them or find them useful. Thing need to look and behave convincing, that's it.
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

Ok, thank you for that explanation.

There was no 'bs' intended. I apologise if it seemed that way.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Racleborg wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:25 pm Ok, thank you for that explanation.

There was no 'bs' intended. I apologise if it seemed that way.
lol I wasnt talking about your post. I'm just an user like you, and I too hope everything is well on track.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:23 pm I do hope that luxcore isn't an ideology and all that unbiased bs that simply don't exist. "true" values mean nothing if no one can use them or find them useful. Thing need to look and behave convincing, that's it.
I guess you know the sayings about lies and easily getting tangled up in them.
If you introduce too many tricks in the wrong places, it will get harder and harder with time to keep everything working together.
So, in the short term it might look like a good idea to cheat here and there, but it might hurt you in the long term.
(I'm talking from a programmer perspective here)

I am not against tricks at all, but you always have to weigh the benefits against possible drawbacks in the future.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:44 pm
lacilaci wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:23 pm I do hope that luxcore isn't an ideology and all that unbiased bs that simply don't exist. "true" values mean nothing if no one can use them or find them useful. Thing need to look and behave convincing, that's it.
I guess you know the sayings about lies and easily getting tangled up in them.
If you introduce too many tricks in the wrong places, it will get harder and harder with time to keep everything working together.
So, in the short term it might look like a good idea to cheat here and there, but it might hurt you in the long term.
(I'm talking from a programmer perspective here)

I am not against tricks at all, but you always have to weigh the benefits against possible drawbacks in the future.
Of course, everything should be 'based' in real world. But flexibility needs to be present. Honestly this isn't a difficult topic that needs reinventing wheel. look at popular solutions and you know what works. Like I said most of the things present work like a charm in luxcore and need some little tweaks at most(bcd is an exception from hell) so whatever you guys do I believe it's for the best. I'm only arguing here for certain ideas to be considered, that's all.
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

bcd is an exception from hell)
I quite like BCD. What's wrong with it?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Racleborg wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:22 pm
bcd is an exception from hell)
I quite like BCD. What's wrong with it?
It's causing paranoya and depression. Should be avoided if possible
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

I meant technically....or at least as technical as possible for a layman to understand ;)
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Racleborg wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:44 pm
I meant technically....or at least as technical as possible for a layman to understand ;)
Ok, so to put ot shortly.
1.Performance, which is the least of it's problems is insane. No previews possible using BCD in any type of production workflow (Granted, Dade claimed this one could be solved by using bcd on opencl.
2.Resources, I can't render 4K render on 6GB gpu once bcd is enabled, and that's mostly pc and mobile viewing, high res prints are out of question probably even on a 11gb gpu.
3.Quality, it requires pretty near clean result and defined textures in render so that it won't destroy details since there is no extra passes for texture detail preservations nor any feature detection etc.

In summary the denoiser is near useless compared to nvidia denoiser which is not even that great aside previewing purposes and it couldn't even be compared to what popular renderers denoisers have to offer for final rendering.

I don't know if BCD is being actively worked on and is evolving and may actually become some cool thing to have so do take it as only my current opinion. But compared how well other things work in luxcore it feels like this denoiser is doing more damage than help

Still, just my opinion. You said you like it, I have no idea why, but who am I to tell you what to like. :)