Correct "PBR nodes" for Blender&LuxCore

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
S0rda

Correct "PBR nodes" for Blender&LuxCore

Post by S0rda »

Hi all, is it correct nodes for PBR-render (like substance painter texture set)?
Attachments
Снимок.PNG
kumaran7

Re: Correct "PBR nodes" for Blender&LuxCore

Post by kumaran7 »

How to apply height map from substance texture.
Demani

Post by Demani »

@S0rda

You need to put your metal and roughness as greyscale (simply select it in the channel option of the texture node) and put them in their respective data (I don't think using the metal and roughness as mask for the mix factor will work as you expect it), also I'm not sure, but think it's gonna be easier to check the "normalmap" box instead of using the normalmap node.
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

but think it's gonna be easier to check the "normalmap" box instead of using the normalmap node.
That's what I do, and it appears to work as it should.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Well, I'd maybe question few things here...
You have metal, matte and glossy material nodes run through 2 mix nodes... I don't know how well luxcore handles this situation, but I would be surprised if the material would really render in optimal performance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for some proper pbr-metalness workflow. But you are rendering 3 materials mixed/layered and in case of luxcore, if you know the material is plastic for example, having metal node doing nothing might be a bit unnecessary.

I say, at some point, luxcore gets pbr/principled ubermaterial (ideally of it's own design) and we can tell allegorithmic to give us an exporter... but until then, I'd be mindful of what node setup I'm building. For product shots and repetitive work where it's a simple scene and you want to make a fast pipeline for yourself using substance painter etc.. ok I get it.. but in general putting layered/mixed materials into a complex scene especially if most of them are non-metallic could be a big and unnecessary hit for performance.

You see, while pbr/principled uber shaders are nice and popular and this type of material might present an universal approach to building most of materials in scene, there is nothing wrong with using glossy shader for some rubber, or matte for some very rough material or a metal for some metal material. You don't gain anything making complex node setup trying to follow some specific "pbr" workflow if you want some piece of plastic/rubber/metal.. Luxcore shaders are working just fine as it is... Having ubermaterial is mostly about flexibility rather some advanced effects... Although some microroughness and irridescence controls wouldn't hurt :D
Demani

Post by Demani »

I agree with the ubermaterial, it would be wonderful but it's not going to happen for the time being, but having a kind of tutorial to export and use textures from substance painter on Luxcore could be interesting, it would help actual newcomers that use the software and why not attract more users.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Demani wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:02 pm I agree with the ubermaterial, it would be wonderful but it's not going to happen for the time being, but having a kind of tutorial to export and use textures from substance painter on Luxcore could be interesting, it would help actual newcomers that use the software and why not attract more users.
I would not recommend newbies in general to use luxcore. I think there is a lot of good things coming but also a lot of traps. I mentioned it in few posts. And tried to recommend to a friend(not a noob) I believed was willing to try new and experimental things..

Despite the name convention, for example luxcore version 2.1 beta whatever, it would make you think it's a fully featured renderer with some unfinished or experimental features. But then you try and find out about issues of all kinds and especially all the rendering "modes" that you have to find out yourself which features work with which combination.. And then you finally enable denoiser and the deal is sealed... done... At this point a lot of damage was done and people just slowly walk, silently into a mist :D lol...

Let's be patient though... Dade said, caches first(direct light for many lights and finaly some GI caching) and then materials.. meaning at ~2.3 we might get some proper ubermaterial for a renderer that handles many lights and GI very well, hopefuly also hides bidir and metropolis and has a proper denoiser too :D...

Now, as for people using substance painter... your albedo is a diffuse/color.. Roughness values are in both metal and glossy nodes, bump/height is bump node, and normal maps work too.. It' s not a rocket science to make your default substance painter maps work with luxcore, however I personaly would avoid using specular and metalness maps and carefuly tweak others with a color mix node for respective input if needed. Yes, it would be great to be able to have substance exporter create 1:1 luxcore compatible material. But the fact it can't now doesn't mean you shouldn't use either. I work on daily basis with people that use substance painter with vray and although there is an exporter many people still use their own workflow and setups or just use some maps instead of all from substance(I mostly use only masks, so BW output to mix materials)....