Direct Light cache: how to avoid splotches?

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Direct Light cache: how to avoid splotches?

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:06 pm Isn't this always the same bug? I mean visually it always looks like the MIS issue with caching, or is it something different?
Only if it is glossy and I asked before (posting.php?mode=quote&f=4&p=8053#pr7607) to redo the test with mate material so I assume the above rendering is showing a different problem :?:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:09 pm
lacilaci wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:06 pm Isn't this always the same bug? I mean visually it always looks like the MIS issue with caching, or is it something different?
Only if it is glossy and I asked before (posting.php?mode=quote&f=4&p=8053#pr7607) to redo the test with mate material so I assume the above rendering is showing a different problem :?:
Well there's also the other issue which looks a lot like this one, when you use heavy clamping.. Remember? I think it's always the same thing going on, just very visible with heavy clamping and/or very rough reflections + multiple light sources.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

And what's up with the spot made of bright pixels here? Related?
Attachments
untitled_DLCS.jpg
matte_splotches.blend
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 156 times
untitled.jpg
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Dade wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:09 pm
I sent you a PM with the scene.
About the carpet on the floor I confirm I used a matte material
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:36 pm And what's up with the spot made of bright pixels here? Related?
The first step when checking a DLSC related problem is always to switch max. path depth to 1 so you will see only direct light sampling:
prob1.jpg
It becomes quite evident that at glancing angles the information of the cache are not correct due to "normal threshold" (10 degrees in this case). If you lower the normal angle threshold to 4 degrees (and increase the radius to 15cm just to speed up the pre-processing):
fix1.jpg
and with full path depth:
fix2.jpg
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

marcatore wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:50 am I sent you a PM with the scene.
About the carpet on the floor I confirm I used a matte material
Thanks, going to check but I have the strong feeling the problem is in the impossibility to have reliable cache information over the carpet (the particle system for hair simulating the carpet will likely to generate a surface over which is impossible to interpolate correct information).
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Some exclude list or something else to help the engine with samples estimation?

Could be helpful in this case?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

marcatore wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:37 am Some exclude list or something else to help the engine with samples estimation?

Could be helpful in this case?
Or maybe retracing problematic areas if they can be identified...?
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Dade wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:08 am
lacilaci wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:36 pm And what's up with the spot made of bright pixels here? Related?
The first step when checking a DLSC related problem is always to switch max. path depth to 1 so you will see only direct light sampling:

prob1.jpg

It becomes quite evident that at glancing angles the information of the cache are not correct due to "normal threshold" (10 degrees in this case). If you lower the normal angle threshold to 4 degrees (and increase the radius to 15cm just to speed up the pre-processing):

fix1.jpg

and with full path depth:

fix2.jpg
Wow! This is a good step by step instruction for DLSC related issues. Thank you much, Dade.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

If I remember correctly, vray has this retracing threshold value for Light caching, I guess it's a workaround to deal with these type of problematic areas...? If we could detect shadow borders and these areas where cache has problems, maybe we could force "retracing" those areas, replacig cache with brute force?