DLCS and Round objects

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

DLCS and Round objects

Post by lacilaci »

There are artifacts over round objects that appear everytime I tried to use dlcs in any scene.
Attachments
DLCSoff.jpg
DLCSon.jpg
luxcoreDLCS.blend
(3.62 MiB) Downloaded 143 times
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: DLCS and Round objects

Post by lacilaci »

normal angle of 1 degree...

Maybe there should be some sort of retracing at the breaking angle, so that cache is not being used on the very edge..?
Attachments
DLCSnormalangle1.jpg
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Also, is DLCS working with bi-dir?? Cause it shows being computed, however I don't see those artifacts on bidir, so I don't know
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Such a scene is not well suited for DLCS. Basically, DLCS is applicable only in specific cases & scenes.
Understanding the fine line, then applying that knowledge, is what makes a fine artist.
Once in a while, a homework, is what everyone must do.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

kintuX wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:34 pm Such a scene is not well suited for DLCS. Basically, DLCS is applicable only in specific cases & scenes.
Understanding the fine line, then applying that knowledge, is what makes a fine artist.
Once in a while, a homework, is what everyone must do.
Do you understand that this is a simplified scene to show an issue I'm having with dlcs?

Or do you plan to tell me on every issue I find that I should either fix it my self or learn to work around the issue, or simply stop using luxcore?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:14 pm There are artifacts over round objects that appear everytime I tried to use dlcs in any scene.
The source of the first problem was in using the geometry normals instead of the shading one (so the result was faceted). I fixed this problem:
i1.jpg
The second problem was in the condition for merging the information of neighbors cache entries. It was too strict and causing problem on edges with normal interpolation. I fixed this problem too and now the rendering looks fine:
i2.jpg
You can use daily build to test the fixes, it should be ready in a couple of hours.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:03 am
lacilaci wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:14 pm There are artifacts over round objects that appear everytime I tried to use dlcs in any scene.
The source of the first problem was in using the geometry normals instead of the shading one (so the result was faceted). I fixed this problem:

i1.jpg

The second problem was in the condition for merging the information of neighbors cache entries. It was too strict and causing problem on edges with normal interpolation. I fixed this problem too and now the rendering looks fine:

i2.jpg

You can use daily build to test the fixes, it should be ready in a couple of hours.
Fantastic, looks flawless now.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:29 pm Also, is DLCS working with bi-dir?? Cause it shows being computed, however I don't see those artifacts on bidir, so I don't know
BiDir can not use DLSC because it is not applicable there: BiDir emits particles starting from light sources without knowing where they land (and the cache entries are on object surfaces). BiDir has also many ways to transport light so a direct light sampling only acceleration would have far smaller impact on the noise.

Note: from a "syntactic" (LuxCore API) point of view, you can use DLSC with BiDir but DLSC, in this case, will just fall back to normal LOG_POWER light strategy.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:11 am
lacilaci wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:29 pm Also, is DLCS working with bi-dir?? Cause it shows being computed, however I don't see those artifacts on bidir, so I don't know
BiDir can not use DLSC because it is not applicable there: BiDir emits particles starting from light sources without knowing where they land (and the cache entries are on object surfaces). BiDir has also many ways to transport light so a direct light sampling only acceleration would have far smaller impact on the noise.

Note: from a "syntactic" (LuxCore API) point of view, you can use DLSC with BiDir but DLSC, in this case, will just fall back to normal LOG_POWER light strategy.
But it's still being computed if selected, Maybe it should be disabled as an option in blender addon?
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

TOTAL TRUTH : my own test 120 sc render each

DLCS No power.jpg
DLCS off log power.jpg
DLCS.jpg

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA