Bloom Settings

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
mroy

Bloom Settings

Post by mroy »

Hello all,

First I have to say just absolutely WOW! LuxCore is amazing. I have been a cycles users for years and saw a few LuxCore images about three months ago. Since then I have been doing an intense LuxCore study and I have to say I find this to be far superior to Cycles in ability to create photo realistic renders and versatility of materials. Wow! Can't say that enough. So first an foremost, a big big thank you to the LuxCore developers!

I have two questions:

1) Texture animation key frames don't show up in the Graph or the Dope Shee (or anywhere)t. I believe I have determined (by lots of reading) that this is isn't supported by Blender with certain plugins. Is that correct or I am missing something in my studies?

2) Bloom
I've used bloom a lot but recently I was creating a scene when it all went wrong. I'm hoping someone can help me tweak settings. Basically I get a large white square in the render. The size of the square is related to the % setting in the boom. I've attached a blender file and an image that shows the problem. I have tried everything I can think of to solve the problem (CPU only, GPU only), tweaked all kinds of settings in lamps, materials, world, render output, camera settings, etc. to try to solve this but I just don't come up with the solution. I have even tried different texture on the "Bus" object to try to solve the problem. If I don't do very many samples (100 or less) I can generally render the animation but with the translucent shader the results aren't good enough for production. This really needs bloom as I don't like the effects glare post prod adds. Anyone with ideas here?

Thanks in advance, and again, BIG THANKS TO LUXCORE DEVS!!
Attachments
i2-3.blend
(2.08 MiB) Downloaded 115 times
bad_render.png
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Bloom Settings

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

mroy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:25 pm 1) Texture animation key frames don't show up in the Graph or the Dope Shee (or anywhere)t. I believe I have determined (by lots of reading) that this is isn't supported by Blender with certain plugins. Is that correct or I am missing something in my studies?
Correct, this is a limitation/bug in Blender.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

This problem is triggered by some fireflies (i.e. very bright pixels on highlights). The firefly push the box filter of the bloom effect sky high and it ends with the large white boxes you are observing.

I could solve the problem inside the code but it would have some side effect and break some compatibility so I don't want.

However there is a simple workaround: just avoid to have the fireflies by setting variance clamping to something like 100 and it will work fine.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
mroy

Post by mroy »

Thank you. I don't think about clamp as much with denoisers I guess because in cycles a little clamp means an image lacking contrast. I'll give it a try.
mroy

Post by mroy »

Next question. Where do I find the "variance clamping" setting. I only see brightness clamping in Render Tab.

Thanks.
mroy

Post by mroy »

Okay, I see that is variance clamp. Got it.