BlendLuxCore IES Omnidirectional Point Source Doesn't Match Luxcore Point Source in Intensity

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Jan

BlendLuxCore IES Omnidirectional Point Source Doesn't Match Luxcore Point Source in Intensity

Post by Jan »

I created an IES file with Easy IES. It's a 360 degrees omnidirectional and emitting equal intensities from all directions
Snap1.jpg

For the Blender setup two point white light sources with 80 candela intensities (Luxcore IES Lights and Luxcore Point Source light) and each is situated at the center of two similar 100% matte hemisphere objects with radii of 1 meter. For rendering Total Path Depth is set to 1 to disable all indirect bounce lights inside the hemisphere.
Snap3.jpg

After analyzing the results I found that the illuminances and luminances on both illuminated hemisphere objects are different. Checking the color values in the linear EXR file indicated that their luminances differ by a factor of around 12.6 and the Luxcore IES Lights illuminated hemisphere object dimmer than Luxcore point light illuminated hemisphere object.
Snap4.jpg

Why do they differ despite both are set at the same intensities??? I also don't think the Lumen values in the IES file has any effect on the intensities as well.
Attachments
IES vs Standard.blend
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 93 times
lighting_freak

Re: BlendLuxCore IES Omnidirectional Point Source Doesn't Match Luxcore Point Source in Intensity

Post by lighting_freak »

Hi,

Interesting finding. Also the factor of 12.6 between the values is very close to 4*pi (full sphere solid angle). Is this coincidence?

Looking forward to the solution.

BR
OS - Windows 7 X64
CPU - Intel CORE i7
GPU1 - Variants of notebook card from nVidia
GPU2 - Variants of notebook onboard card from Intel
Lux - Latest possible relaease
Jan

Re: BlendLuxCore IES Omnidirectional Point Source Doesn't Match Luxcore Point Source in Intensity

Post by Jan »

lighting_freak wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:13 pm Hi,

Interesting finding. Also the factor of 12.6 between the values is very close to 4*pi (full sphere solid angle). Is this coincidence?

Looking forward to the solution.

BR
Hi,

For me it's exactly 4*Pi if without noise.

Rendered with Irradiance Contour Lines 21 steps around 2 min 3 sec time:
12.6x80cd.jpg
12.6 x 80 candela = 1,008

12.56637x80cd.jpg
12.56637 x 80 candela = 1,005.31

Thanks