cancel rendering

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
JulianoLisboa

cancel rendering

Post by JulianoLisboa »

Is there any way to speed up the render cancellation? In cycles, when esc is pressed instantly, rendering is stopped, in Luxcore it is still calculating for a long period.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: cancel rendering

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Please upload a simplified testscene that shows the problem.
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

I found Luxcore to react way faster when canceling renderings than Cycles does - especially when also using the CPU in Cycles.
JulianoLisboa

Post by JulianoLisboa »

There is no specific scene, using only CPU I can cancel the render quickly, using GPU + CPU the cancellation takes time.

This also occurs when it is only GPU, so I believe it is the problem.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Are you using tile rendering ? What GPU do you have ? We need a test scene because there literally thousands of possible settings.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

If it happens in any scene, it should be easy to upload one, right? ;)
JulianoLisboa

Post by JulianoLisboa »

Hello friends, as it is happening in all the scenes I am testing if it cannot be something here in my system, I use a GTX 980 and an Intel 8700 with 32GB of RAM. I'll try to find out, if not, I'll post a test scene for you. Sorry if I was overwhelmed with the creation of the topic, but I thought someone else might be having it and comment, but apparently it is only here.
Martini

Post by Martini »

I know what you're talking about. Or at least, I used to... :?

I remember the GPU rendering used to take a few seconds to stop the 'batch' that it was working on (I think it even used to print a message like, "Waiting for render threads to terminate" or some such). The last time I noticed was a while ago, possibly before 2.5...?

I believe this is also what prompted YouTuber djtutorials recently to incorrectly instruct his audience (timestamp 29:28) that "you kinda have to spam hitting Esc" (paraphrasing). Although, you can see in the video that Blender doesn't respond and stop immediately.

However, in the 2.5 beta 1, I can't reproduce this behaviour. I think it might've been significantly improved recently :D
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5995WX 64-Cores | 2x Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI | 256GB Kingston Server Premier ECC Unbuffered DDR4
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Would it maybe be possible to add an option like "Skip denoising after cancellation" to the Denoiser section? I render very large images and every time I cancel a rendering I have to wait for minutes until the denoising finished (which I don't need). Sometimes the PC won't respond at all and I have to force-close Blender.

That would be great.
Dez!

Post by Dez! »

I fully support this proposal.
I also find myself in stupid situations where I have to cancel the rendering, and I can not wait for the OIDN - click on xkill
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
http://dezigner.tilda.ws/