Brushed metal

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
TomekK

Brushed metal

Post by TomekK »

So I’m trying to model a watch I designed, and part of the case I want to have a brushed metal look. I am very new to rendering, and would like to avoid very complicated processes. I found pretty much the exact texture I want on blend swap: https://www.blendswap.com/blend/26247, but it’s not working in lux. Works great in cycles, but I don’t know how/if it is possible to have the same thing in the lux engine.

I would really appreciate any help in either getting this material to work in lux, or another easy way to get this kind of brushed metal. Would prefer a procedural method as well.

Sorry cannot attach any files now, away from the computer.

Thanks,
Tomek
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Brushed metal

Post by Dade »

Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
TomekK

Post by TomekK »

I’ve seen that, but am looking for something a) easier/simpler, and b)with a stronger contrast between individual lines, so it’s clear that it’s “brushed.” Is there a simple way to “stretch” a supplied texture (like noise, or something else)? Maybe I’ll use an image, but cannot find a good one currently. I really love the look of the blend swap material I linked to, and would really like to use it.
DionXein

Post by DionXein »

TomekK wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:15 pm I’ve seen that, but am looking for something a) easier/simpler, and b)with a stronger contrast between individual lines, so it’s clear that it’s “brushed.” Is there a simple way to “stretch” a supplied texture (like noise, or something else)? Maybe I’ll use an image, but cannot find a good one currently. I really love the look of the blend swap material I linked to, and would really like to use it.
About 5 min of trying using gimp and lux, and here is what I get.
Attachments
brushed_metal.jpg
Brushed_Metal_Height.png
node.jpg
TomekK

Post by TomekK »

Thank you! I ended up using something pretty similar.