slow performance

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
bnpro

slow performance

Post by bnpro »

Hi, I'm impressed by luxcorerender, but not so much about blender.
While at keyshot/cinema4d I'm able to manipulate detailed scenes (10-30m polygons) Blender seems to struggle a lot. I believe it is a core Blender issue, but I would like to ask you if somehow is related to luxcore render engine selected. Again, I'm talking only at manipulating scene (color wheel appears quite often). My system is mac pro 4,1 / 48gm ram / nvidia 980 / mac os 10.13.
Any suggestion would be much apreciated since I would like to give luxcore a try, but Blender seems like a slow train.
giacometti777

Re: slow performance

Post by giacometti777 »

Its true - Blender is unfortunately very slow in the viewport with higher poly count.

A few things can help:

1. Use the addon Proxify to seamlessly create and use lower complexity versions of every model while retaining full detail for render. The addon that came after this (Lodify) is very good too but doesn't create the proxies for you. You can use that too by quickly duplicating your object - applying a Decimate modifier with "Collapse" at between .1-.25 then using that as a quick proxy.

2. Using "H" to hide and alt + "H" to unhide helps keep the viewport focused on what you are working on and much lighter. Also "/" for isolation mode is great for when you are creating/altering the materials of one object.

3. Use "Simplify" settings to limit things like Subdivision in the viewport in case that is dragging down performance.

4. Blender runs every operation at about 1.5 speed on Linux compared to Windows. If you can create a Linux install for Blender (I recommend PopOS!) it will be much snappier. I did this for a while but ended up stopping because I need to jump directly into some Windows only programs while working on a scene and it wasn't worth it for me ultimately.

Hopefully the devs will be able to get Blender's viewport performance to a place that is more acceptable. It really is a show stopping hindrance if you aren't applying at least some of the tricks above constantly. Good luck!