How to install STANDALONE on Mac?

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lassebauer

How to install STANDALONE on Mac?

Post by lassebauer »

Hi, maybe I have misunderstood the "standalone" version, but I´m thinking it´s an actual standalone that you can use without any link to other software(?).
If so; I downloaded the Standalone installer for Mac (I´m using OS 10.13.6 High Sierra), and the DMG contains a program and a folder called "pyluxcore". When I start the program, I get the error "Luxcore shut down unexpectedly".
I have downloaded the same DMG a few times - same thing.
Checked online for solutions but found none.

Can someone please help or point me in the right direction?
Thanks a lot in advance :)
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Re: How to install STANDALONE on Mac?

Post by CodeHD »

I can't look into the dmg right now (for absence of mac and windows-apps that can read it), but generally I can tell you this:

- LuxCore standalone is not a full 3D software like Blender. You still need to create files with mesh data, and text-files for the scene and render settings by some other means.
- pyluxcore are command-line tools for python (i.e. an API).
- similarly there might be a "luxcoreconsole" (if it exists for mac).
- There might also be a "luxcoreui", which is a graphical interface of the rendering, but it is rather a tool for development rather than actual rendering.

The standalone version is typically used for either network rendering or optimised memory usage (you don't have the additional overhead from Blender)
lassebauer

Re: How to install STANDALONE on Mac?

Post by lassebauer »

Hi CodeHD,
Thanks a lot for helping clearing this up for me :)
I guess I have to use it with Blender or find another solution as this setup sounds like rocket science to me :D

Thanks again! :)