Best noise reduction approach

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
daros

Best noise reduction approach

Post by daros »

\Hi, i'm struggling a bit with Oidn which always blurs important details form renderings.
We tried by using multiple samplers but results are very similar one to each other.
In the following image the main problem is the floor in the background which suddenly blurs.
I know there are multiple tricks to avoid this by using albedo, or other channels, as a signal/noise reference for oidn, but i don't know which is the best one. Can someone please help me with that?
View 02 2400x1200.jpg
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Best noise reduction approach

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

OIDN will use the ALBEDO and AVG_SHADING_NORMAL AOVs when the are present. Did you enable them?
(I'm assuming you are not rendering inside Blender, where this happens automatically)
daros

Post by daros »

Thanks BYOB, yes , we re rendering from command line. Do you think it's enough to enable albedo form the image pipeline or something like that?
daros

Post by daros »

Don't worrie, i think we can manage it now. Thanks !
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:29 am OIDN will use the ALBEDO and AVG_SHADING_NORMAL AOVs when the are present. Did you enable them?
(I'm assuming you are not rendering inside Blender, where this happens automatically)
Is that enough :

Code: Select all

film.outputs.0.type = "RGB_IMAGEPIPELINE"
film.outputs.0.index = 0
film.outputs.0.filename = "RGB_IMAGEPIPELINE_0.png"
film.outputs.1.type = "ALBEDO"
film.outputs.1.filename = "ALBEDO.exr"
film.outputs.2.type = "AVG_SHADING_NORMAL"
film.outputs.2.filename = "AVG_SHADING_NORMAL.exr"
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

The best (and expansive) solution to help OIDN (and most denoisers) to not loose details is to render at higher resolution (2x or 4x, etc.), denoise, and than scale down to the intended image resolution.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

@Sharlybg, yes, that looks correct. You should see the difference in the denoised result.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:09 am @Sharlybg, yes, that looks correct. You should see the difference in the denoised result.
We are now able to output the OIDN require passes to the disk but we don't know if OIDN is using theses files (we also don't see improvement on the denoising).
Is there a particular folder where to put the files or something to tell OIDN to do to take passes in account ?

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

OIDN doesn't read the files from disk, they are read directly from RAM if the AOVs are enabled in LuxCore.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Sharlybg wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:14 am
B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:09 am @Sharlybg, yes, that looks correct. You should see the difference in the denoised result.
We are now able to output the OIDN require passes to the disk but we don't know if OIDN is using theses files (we also don't see improvement on the denoising).
Is there a particular folder where to put the files or something to tell OIDN to do to take passes in account ?
The plugin print a warning if they are not available/found (in memory, not on disk): https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... dn.cpp#L87