Volume Intersect Problem

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
DionXein

Re: Volume Intersect Problem

Post by DionXein »

Dade wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:47 pm It is working fine here:
and it wasn't before (the posted scene doesn't include smoke data so I'm using an homogeneous volume both cases).

What kind of result do you get ?
I'm still on last automatic build (4 days ago)
And problem still there, see pics - with heterogeneous and homogeneous effect are the same.

Try to bake a few frames in smoke domain data (even 5 would be enough) to get some defined density for heterogeneous volume.
Attachments
Hetero.jpg
Homo.jpg
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

It is still working fine but your problem (under Windows, not Linux like me) may have been a result of this regression introduced with the fix: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2859
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

@Dade, I have simplified the scene a bit, can you do a test with this?
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... -738789935
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:44 pm @Dade, I have simplified the scene a bit, can you do a test with this?
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... -738789935
This is something I have already talked in the past: mixing a transmitting material with transparency is a can of worm you don't wont to open.

Transparency makes the object (and the associate volume) literally to not exist. LuxCore can maintain consistency while tracing a single ray: if the ray intersect a sphere, the sphere is solid or transparent both for the entry point and the exit.

However it is impossible to maintain consistency over a chain of rays (i.e. a path). In your case, the path hit the sphere surface and a shadow ray is traced. The material can transmit so the shadow ray can be traced trough the back of the sphere surface. However the shadow ray has a new random value to decide if the sphere is solid or not.

The sphere can become suddenly transparent for the shadow ray because of the new random value so it lighted by the light source. This causes also a huge mess with volumes because you entered in a volume but you never exited

Short version: I mark this as "wontfix" (more correctly it is a "cantfix").

You can probably show a big warning in BlendLuxCore for all transmitting materials if the transparency socket is used. However can be hard to say for recursive materials like Mix or GlossyCoatting.

Transmitting materials are:

- archglass
- glass
- glossytranslucent
- mattetranslucent
- null
- roughglass
- roughmattetranslucent
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

It sounds like the best course of action would be to remove the opacity/transparency socket completely from these materials.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:26 pm It sounds like the best course of action would be to remove the opacity/transparency socket completely from these materials.
It make sense from my pov. Don't remenber any use of opacity for them in my daily work.

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
DionXein

Post by DionXein »

Sharlybg wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:37 pm It make sense from my pov. Don't remenber any use of opacity for them in my daily work.
I grab this marble material from example scene, where dish behind is a marble, and tried to combine it in complex scene with smoke around it. It's not a daily work, yes, but it's an artistic way to doin things. I just want to test abilities of LuxCore and make new interesting example scene with SSS and smoke around it.
Dade wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:56 pm
Short version: I mark this as "wontfix" (more correctly it is a "cantfix").
Sad to hear it, but I know it's quite fair, because volumetrics are complex thing. Maybe the right way is to make different render passes and combine them later.

And I still not sure how properly must be realised SSS here, because opacity is really strange - how could object be (not)opaque to see it inner volume? Shadows, glossiness, other details are lost due using opacity slider.
Attachments
reference.png
juangea
Donor
Donor

Post by juangea »

This is something I have already talked in the past: mixing a transmitting material with transparency is a can of worm you don't wont to open.
Mmm this makes me think ni subsurface scattering, since as of today we need transparency to handle subsurface scattering, I wonder if this may help bump the Disney shader sub surface scattering to have it like the cycles one, with random walk and inside the Uber node, since it’s not weird to have something with SSS and smoke / volumes
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:26 pm It sounds like the best course of action would be to remove the opacity/transparency socket completely from these materials.
I did this, but then it occured to me that it actually might not be a good idea.

The problem can just as well be produced by using a non-transmissive material with lowered opacity, e.g. matte with 80% opacity:
matte_80percent_opacity.jpg
Capture.PNG
It seems to me like it is actually a problem created from combining multiple volumes with partially transparent materials.

Note: transmissive materials with lowered opacity are used in the "Canelle et Fromage" scene on the marble plate in the background, and on the cheese. No artifacts show up in these cases as long as only a single interior volume is used for each material.

I'll have to check if I can detect possibly artifact-prone volume setups during export and show a warning.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

The Blender addon now shows the warning "Combining volumes and materials with opacity < 1 can lead to artifacts!" if a material combines volumes and at least one material node with opacity < 1.