Constant Bluescreening

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
batstick

Constant Bluescreening

Post by batstick »

I would have put in a bug report but I'd like to know if anyone else has been dealing with this first. At least six times today my computer has bluescreened with a watchdog violation error while rendering or attempting to render on either CPU or GPU. My system is stable and well cooled. Only luxcore causes these frequent crashes. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a fix for this? It happens no matter the file it seems.
neo2068
Developer
Developer

Re: Constant Bluescreening

Post by neo2068 »

Hi!
A little more Information whould be nice. Which operating system are you using? Which rendermode, e.g. CPU only or OpenCL? LuxCore does heavy computations and high workload for the processor. If the scheduler of the operating system is bad, e.g. in MS windows, it is possible that the os is crashing. Graphics card driver problems could lead to a crash in case of OpenCL rendering.
i7 5820K, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080 SUPER + GTX 1080, Windows 10 64bit, Blender 2.83.5
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

In theory, it should not even possible for an application to crash an OS (even intentionally). A blue screen is usually a symptom of an hardware problem (like a bad bank of ram, a bad power supply, an overclocked CPU, etc.) or a OS/driver bug.

Was it the first time it happens (with or without LuxCore) ?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

It would also be useful to know your exact hardware specs.
batstick

Post by batstick »

The reason I suspect LuxCore is because I mine almost all day on all my cores and all of myGPUs without any crashing(typically 20 hours a day). Prior to using LuxCore I had not experienced such frequent crashing. I experience crashing on GPU rendering OpenCL and on CPU BiDir rendering. CPU crashes seem to be more common. I stopped overclocking because I thought it to be the culprit but that was several weeks ago. I have also reinstalled my graphics drivers for my AMD cards and NVidia cards. No matter what rendering mode I am using it is always the same blue screen message: watchdog violation. My computer has been rebooted more times this month than in the last year. Also, I don't believe thermals are to blame because the CPU has water cooling and the GPUs all have at least one full PCIE slot of space beneath them to breath.

My exact specs are as follows:
Windows 10 Pro 1709 16299.248
CPU: i7 5820k @ stock speeds
RAM: 2133mhz 32GB quad channel
GPU1: GTX 980 driver version: 23.21.13.9124
GPU2: GTX 980 driver version: 23.21.13.9124
GPU3-4: Radeon Pro Duo driver version: 23.20.15002.11
GPU5-6: Radeon Pro Duo driver version: 23.20.15002.11
Motherboard: ASUS X99-E WS
2 Corsair 1000 watt power supplies and a 650 watt evga powersupply. Definitely enough power.

Tonight I will do a RAM stress test to see if it can handle sustained load. Also the AMD drivers are a pain in the ass to get working. I only recently got them to not detect having twice the number of gpus installed. If it comes down to it I can reinstall windows. I appreciate your time and effort.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

You can try to use LuxMark to check the hardware: it has a "Stress test" mode (i.e. endless run the benchmark). Try to use CPU+GPU mode so it will, more or less, put the system under maximum load. Combined with an extensive ram test, it should rule out an hardware problem.

P.S. I'm more worried of the power supply load than thermals in your case, 6xGPUs+CPU have a very high requirement.
batstick

Post by batstick »

So I tried running the Luxmark today like you had suggested before I headed out for work, and it appears to have run from about 7:30 to 3:00 and then it had a Kernel Power issue. That suggests a power problem. Now that I think about it, mining isn't using max power because max power is not efficient. Rendering will use everything it can. Looks like I will need to get another 1 kilowatt or redistribute the power more effectively. I guess my CPU is being starved by all the bullshit I have plugged in (GPUs HDDs Pump etc). Thank you for the help. I feel a bit silly for not having realized this. :P
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Yes, even if your power supply is enough according to the GPU/CPU consumption, GPUs can produce nasty power spikes when under full load and consume two times or three times their max. power for a millisecond.