tonemapping

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
zooropa

tonemapping

Post by zooropa »

Hi. I would like to know where I can find documentation that explains tonemapping (camera properties panel). When to use it? The differences between the 3 alternatives in the panel? I noticed for example that it is essential when using the luxcore sky sytem to not overblown the scene and use accurate sun values. Are you using always tonemapping, for example when using hdr does not seem to be so relevant.

I tried to check the wiki and blender luxcore documents, but could not find nothing there.

Thank you
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: tonemapping

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

zooropa

Post by zooropa »

Thank you for your fast reply. Which one do you use? I am curious to know.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Usually the linear tonemapper.

Auto tonemapping is not good if you want the brightness in your image to stay the same when you edit it. It's good in the real world, where you travel between various lighting conditions very fast, with no way to influence them most of the time (e.g. hiking along a path that is sometimes shadowed by trees and very dark, and sometimes out in the sun and very bright). But when your camera is static and you adjust the brightness of various lights a lot, auto tonemapping is annoying.

The "camera settings" tonemapper (aka LuxLinear) is mostly useful when you want to match existing footage where you know the ISO, f-stop and shutter speed parameters.
zooropa

Post by zooropa »

Thank you