No internal reflections inside Glass material

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
74hc595

Re: No internal reflections inside Glass material

Post by 74hc595 »

Thanks for help! I'be been trying to do an underwater scene with LuxCore, and I've been stuck on it for a week now.
I've fixed the problem with volumes, and while the caustics look even better now, but the water surface is the same as it was. Parts that are above the water are just dimmed, but not deformed by the refraction. This is really weird, especially since it works well the other way around.
I've also tried swapping interior and exterior volumes for Glass material, but the result was very similar.
Attachments
internal_reflections_2.blend
(864.39 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
internal_reflections4.jpg
74hc595

Post by 74hc595 »

I've just tried a very similar setup with Lux 1.6, BiDir and Glass2 material, and it renders perfectly. Maybe it's a bug in Glass material?
Note how the checkerboard above water is distorted and reflections are way brighter.
Attachments
reflections_v1_6.jpg
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

74hc595 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 am I've just tried a very similar setup with Lux 1.6, BiDir and Glass2 material, and it renders perfectly. Maybe it's a bug in Glass material?
Note how the checkerboard above water is distorted and reflections are way brighter.
Your volume setup is still wrong:

mat.jpg

There also a "sky" light source in your scene that will nearly double the rendering times, without any practical effect.

@B.Y.O.B. however, there is a problem in BlendLuxCore. It is still creating 3 volumes: "air", "water" and another one created out of nowhere and referenced by the camera. This happens even if, inside Blender, the camera volumes is pointing to the same "water" volume used by the surface.

This is wrong because LuxCore will check if 2 volumes are the same by using object pointers (otherwise I would have to check every single volume parameter at runtime and it would be too slow).

The camera volume and the water surface volume must be the same, they can not be 2 different volumes with the same parameters.

If I export the scene and I fix the camera volume, I get the correct rendering:

render.jpg
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:05 pm @B.Y.O.B. however, there is a problem in BlendLuxCore. It is still creating 3 volumes: "air", "water" and another one created out of nowhere and referenced by the camera. This happens even if, inside Blender, the camera volumes is pointing to the same "water" volume used by the surface.

This is wrong because LuxCore will check if 2 volumes are the same by using object pointers (otherwise I would have to check every single volume parameter at runtime and it would be too slow).

The camera volume and the water surface volume must be the same, they can not be 2 different volumes with the same parameters.
It was broken by this commit: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... 50a5b42b8c
I reverted it.
74hc595

Post by 74hc595 »

Thanks! Everything works perfectly now :)