luxCore opencl error API in linux

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
rikrdtir

luxCore opencl error API in linux

Post by rikrdtir »

How about folks, install blender with luxcore in several linux distributions, and this error always appears, also I tried with the "nonfree" drivers in distributions like arch linux, but it works for a while then the error appears.

OpenCL driver API error (code: -30, file:/home/vsts/work/1/s/LinuxCompile/LuxCore/src/luxrays/utils/ocl.cpp, line: 178): CL_INVALID_VALUE
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: luxCore opencl error API in linux

Post by Dade »

AMD or NVIDIA GPU ? Version of LuxCore used ?

First of all check if you have a working OpenCL installation by running LuxMark (i.e. if it doesn't work, there is a problem with OpenCL drivers).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
drsp

Post by drsp »

I'm running into this problem, when I login remotely.

My setup works fine as long as I start blender from the graphical console (using Wayland):
* Ubuntu 20.04 with Intel CPU
* iGPU that I don't use for rendering
* Blender 2.82 from repo not snap
* luxcore 2.4

When I log in remotely with XRDP that uses X11 instead of Wayland I'm getting that error. clinfo is empty, so I don't think luxcore is to blame here. Although I don't understand why OpenCL is not available.

When I log in via ssh clinfo is o.k., but blender still crashes with the openCL driver error.

Can anyone explain why luxcore behaves differently if started via Wayland/X11/command line?
Why is OpenCL needed anyway, if I'm just rendering on the CPU. I don't have any OpenCL CPU driver installed.

Thanks!
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

drsp wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:47 am Why is OpenCL needed anyway, if I'm just rendering on the CPU. I don't have any OpenCL CPU driver installed.
OpenCL is used for image pipeline and other stuff, not only for rendering. For v2.4, try to download and use the CPU-only version if you don't want to use OpenCL. Otherwise, you can try the under development v2.5 that has single executable, good both for OpenCl and OpenCL-less setups.
drsp

Post by drsp »

Thanks for the hint, but where can I find the CPU only version of 2.4?
I couldn't see it on the download page or github assets?

Thanks
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

drsp wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:13 am Thanks for the hint, but where can I find the CPU only version of 2.4?
I couldn't see it on the download page or github assets?
Sorry, I was thinking the "single executable" feature was added in v2.5 but was added in v2.4 instead (so there is a single executable for v2.4 too).

This mean LuxCore try to auto detect OpenCL and if a OpenCL ICD is found, it tries to use it.

Can you try to uninstall OpenCL ICD on the remote machine ? If you don't use OpenCL, you don't need it anyway.
drsp

Post by drsp »

Dade wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:42 am
Can you try to uninstall OpenCL ICD on the remote machine ? If you don't use OpenCL, you don't need it anyway.
I just set up a new machine.
Out of the box ubuntu desktop minimal install had just this installed:
ocl-icd-libopencl1:amd64 2.2.11-1ubuntu1 amd64 Generic OpenCL ICD Loader

Running a CPU path render with blendluxcore v2.4 gave this error:

Error: OpenCL driver API error (code: -1001, file:/home/vsts/work/1/s/LinuxCompile/LuxCore/src/luxrays/devices/ocldevice.cpp, line: 72): -1001

After installing
intel-opencl-icd 20.13.16352-1 amd64 Intel graphics compute runtime for OpenCL
it worked.