Transparent Film and glass material

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Leandro Oliveira

Transparent Film and glass material

Post by Leandro Oliveira »

Hi,

I noted that using Transparent Film, Glass material with Architectural option checked is rendered with alpha channel. I imagine that using real glass material, it´s hard to get an alpha channel because it´s necessary to distort the image behind it. But, anyway, is it possible? Maybe, using passes?
baoyu

Re: Transparent Film and glass material

Post by baoyu »

Indeed, I really miss the " transparent glass" option in Cycles. Though using that option you won't get any distorted refraction, it's pretty useful for rendering image assets for 2D designers.
zeealpal

Post by zeealpal »

baoyu wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:03 pm Indeed, I really miss the " transparent glass" option in Cycles. Though using that option you won't get any distorted refraction, it's pretty useful for rendering image assets for 2D designers.
If you check the 'architectural' option for glass as Leandro mentioned, you do get a non-distorted 'glass' with alpha transparency if I understand your query correctly?
untitled.png
baoyu

Post by baoyu »

zeealpal wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:55 am
baoyu wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:03 pm Indeed, I really miss the " transparent glass" option in Cycles. Though using that option you won't get any distorted refraction, it's pretty useful for rendering image assets for 2D designers.
If you check the 'architectural' option for glass as Leandro mentioned, you do get a non-distorted 'glass' with alpha transparency if I understand your query correctly?
untitled.png
Sorry, what I want is to get real glass transparent. If you check the architectural option, it will hehave like its ior been set to 1. If you try the cycles transparent option under render properties>Film>Transparent>Transparent Glass, below, there's a option called Roughness Threshold meaning any glass with roughness been set above this value would be opaque.
For now, I could render in Luxcore and steal the alpha channel from the cycles render and composite them together.
zeealpal

Post by zeealpal »

baoyu wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:03 pm
zeealpal wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:55 am ...
Sorry, what I want is to get real glass transparent. If you check the architectural option, it will hehave like its ior been set to 1. If you try the cycles transparent option under render properties>Film>Transparent>Transparent Glass, below, there's a option called Roughness Threshold meaning any glass with roughness been set above this value would be opaque.
For now, I could render in Luxcore and steal the alpha channel from the cycles render and composite them together.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that previously, just tried it I see the difference, cheers :)