Which material is more accurate?

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
HoppyHopp

Which material is more accurate?

Post by HoppyHopp »

Hey,
i am trying out the material nodes. It seems glossy has a more intense fresnel effect.
Which one is more physically accurate, Glossy or Disney?

Glossy

Disney
HoppyHopp

Re: Which material is more accurate?

Post by HoppyHopp »

And for metal it is the other way around.
Which one is more physically accurate, Metal or Disney?

Metal

Disney
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

HoppyHopp wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:51 am Which one is more physically accurate, Glossy or Disney?
You can not really say one is more physically accurate than other because they are the implementation of different models. You could talk of "more" physically accurate if you were using measured materials.
There isn't a material named "Glossy" (or "Disney") in nature, there are just materials exhibiting a behavior like the model used in "Glossy" (or "Disney").
HoppyHopp wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:51 am Which one is more physically accurate, Metal or Disney?
The answer here is easier because, I assume, you are trying to match something that does exist in nature: metal.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
fluxfish

Post by fluxfish »

HoppyHopp, even though the differences are obvious, I put your pictures together as gif-Animation to better evaluate the differences in detail (maybe 500ms viewtime is a nuance to less, but still ok)

As we intuitively try to compare to real life experiences, 1st one might be something plastic or porcelain with high gloss surface, the bright outlining rim of the Glossy-one feels unnatural to me, with respect to the scene and the lighting setup. Would more happen if the material has some type of small fur like velvet, maybe, or different lightings are involved.
Similar with metal, where it results in a dark outlining rim, which does not make sense IMHO. Even tough it accentuates the contour of the object a bit more, which might come in handy for special purposes, I wouldn't assume such a rounded high-reflection surface in front of this backdrop to deliver this type of mirror-picture.
These are my impressions :)
Attachments
LuxCore 20200828 HoppyHopp - Glossy or Disney.gif
LuxCore 20200828 HoppyHopp - Metal or Disney.gif
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

fluxfish wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:03 am
As we intuitively try to compare to real life experiences, 1st one might be something plastic or porcelain with high gloss surface, the bright outlining rim of the Glossy-one feels unnatural to me, with respect to the scene and the lighting setup.
Similar with metal, where it results in a dark outlining rim, which does not make sense IMHO.
These are my impressions :)
Looking up ‚Anisotropic Rotation‘ I just have found this here Metallic Edge Color.
Feel free to check Iron (Fe).
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1