Strange problem with apparent brightness of HDRI vs the actual light appearing in scene

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
TStrolia

Strange problem with apparent brightness of HDRI vs the actual light appearing in scene

Post by TStrolia »

I am having a weird problem where the light that is actually entering my scene is extremely over exposed even in filmic while the HDRI appears dim even though it is a 32 bit exr. I don't entirely understand what is causing this but I am wondering if there is either A) a setting where I can just boost the apparent brightness of the HDRI without increasing the total light entering the scene, although it would break some rules to do that and this is probably the most unbiased render engine I know right now; Or, B) if this is a bug that might need to get worked out; Or C) there is a setting that might cause this?

I have clamping off and this is obviously just one light group but I want to isolate the problem as this is visible in all renders. As a backup I have Object IDs on the windows and can combine that with the inverse of the alpha and fix it in post but since I don't have a whole lot of control over transparency of the windows with the alpha anyway I really want to get as much right in render as possible and something is just off about that.

Thank you so much for the help!
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Strange problem with apparent brightness of HDRI vs the actual light appearing in scene

Post by Sharlybg »

Look like your Hdri gamma setting is too strong. Normally normal gamma 1 don't do that.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
TStrolia

Re: Strange problem with apparent brightness of HDRI vs the actual light appearing in scene

Post by TStrolia »

Sharlybg wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:29 pm Look like your Hdri gamma setting is too strong. Normally normal gamma 1 don't do that.
My gamma is actually lowered to 0.9 to wash out the image a bit and kill off some contrast and then boosted the exposure to 1.5. The problem is if I go lower than that then it washes out the scene too. With 1.5 exposure on a bright HDR with a lowered gamma is surprised the whole sky isn’t rendering as a near white blob. I have tried a few different IBLs and I am running into the problem on all of them even in other scenes. It is very strange. Everything gets very blown out And even clips but the sky is clamping at like 80%.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

I don't know your IBL but hdrhaven one work well.

TStrolia

Post by TStrolia »

Sharlybg wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:08 pm I don't know your IBL but hdrhaven one work well.
I used a few from HDRhaven, a few from Poliigon, and a few I made myself and it’s the same problem across the board.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

What is your blendluxcore version.daily build. If it is 2.5 test 2.3 or 2.4.

TStrolia

Post by TStrolia »

Sharlybg wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:32 pm What is your blendluxcore version.daily build. If it is 2.5 test 2.3 or 2.4.
I have been in 2.4 since it was released at the end of last month. I’ll experiment with a daily build also but I have a feeling this a more of a circumstantial issue on my end so I suspect if that fixes it it will be more of sure luck than anything.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

If you post simple test scene, I can check what is going on.
TStrolia

Post by TStrolia »

Dade wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:25 pm If you post simple test scene, I can check what is going on.
That would be awesome. Ill get a link up in just a couple moments.
TStrolia

Post by TStrolia »

Dade wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:25 pm If you post simple test scene, I can check what is going on.
https://we.tl/t-Xz9TRJyVye

Here is the file. I simplified the scene quite a bit and I am sitll having the issue but admitidly not as bad. I went back to the original scene and checked my normals and everything and thats not a problem. My DSLR is set up to shoot log and even still in a room similarly lit even now at sunset, everything out the windows almost white it is so blown out while the inside of the room is barely affected. In the instance of luxcore here, it feels the oposite, the clouds corona and even sun do not quite look like they are clipping white but the light cast onto the floor is almost brighter than the HDRI it's self. This may all boil down to color management in the end on my part, but even still something looks just off to me about how much light hitting the floor is just as bright if not brighter than the content in the windows. The problem I am facing while trying to remedy this is if I bring the dynamic range down then A) the highlight on the floor gets brighter too, and B) the colors get really saturated which is inacurate.

Thank you so much again for taking a look.