Angular roughness/Angular glossiness

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lighting_freak

Re: Angular roughness/Angular glossiness

Post by lighting_freak »

Hi,

Might be the right time to introduce kind of brdf node that allows to define the portion of scattering types (matte, glossy, specular) per incidence angle. Ideally with some optional interpolation types (e.g. linear, exponential etc) between those points.

What do you think?

BR
OS - Windows 7 X64
CPU - Intel CORE i7
GPU1 - Variants of notebook card from nVidia
GPU2 - Variants of notebook onboard card from Intel
Lux - Latest possible relaease
lighting_freak

Post by lighting_freak »

lighting_freak wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:44 pm Might be the right time to introduce kind of brdf node that allows to define the portion of scattering types (matte, glossy, specular) per incidence angle. Ideally with some optional interpolation types (e.g. linear, exponential etc) between those points.
maybe like this?
maybe like this?
OS - Windows 7 X64
CPU - Intel CORE i7
GPU1 - Variants of notebook card from nVidia
GPU2 - Variants of notebook onboard card from Intel
Lux - Latest possible relaease
Theo_Gottwald

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

The whole issue could be just a checkmark behind roughness-slider.
If you check it then the system will calculate a exponential curve from roughness to zero and maps it on the angle of the camera.
This would be the easiest solution. But of course other solutions may have more possibilities.
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Join @Dreamstime and sell your Renderings to the world.
TStrolia

Post by TStrolia »

I know this has been a dead topic for some time, but I want to ask the developers, what sort of bounty would make micro-roughness, a proper micro-roughness, a priority for development? I really love LuxCore for a lot of the product work I do but one area that always falls just a tad short for me is the micro-roughness. I feel like not having it takes away from interiors where the walls are an excellent demonstration of this effect, or in my case, products with satin finishes. I know there is a lot on the road-map and I have proposed other additions as well, but this one is definitely up there as an important one and I may possibly be able to contribute the necessary resources if I know what it would take to get it off the ground.

I know luxcore is not in a game of competition, but render engines are constantly being tossed around, one to the next, and it is a competitive game of which engine will meet the needs of most people in a target market. Micro-roughness is being adopted quikly as a common new feature and I think it would be a defining feature that may draw attention for a wide range of applications, especially if it comes as a node that could work similarly to the clear coat node, working as a middle man between the roughness value or texture, using an input for the roughness, Rms and Correlation length control which could be plugged directly into the roughness input on any shader. The Rms and Correlation Length inputs would allow fine-tuned control of the fall off of the micro-roughness and could be used then with a roughness map or value to offer the widest range of realism. Also, as one node, it may actually render faster than my cycles micro-roughness shader which is made up of close to 30 nodes and does bogg down render times significantly.