Full invisible area light

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Full invisible area light

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:05 pm But in the case of an area light, isn't the current behaviour of this setting to lead to a black mesh being visible in reflections, instead of being invisible?
Yes, a light source can only avoid to emit light, not become transparent (if it is not already, like all not-intersectable light sources: point, spot, etc.).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Dade wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:41 pm It is already possible to make a light source invisible to specular materials, there is a dedicated flag for visibility on diffuse, glossy and/or specular materials :?:
Oh..sorry. You're right.
I've tried and it works. Good. And MIS is still there...at least the sampling seems the same of the "normal" area light.
Dade wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:11 pm
B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:05 pm But in the case of an area light, isn't the current behaviour of this setting to lead to a black mesh being visible in reflections, instead of being invisible?
Yes, a light source can only avoid to emit light, not become transparent (if it is not already, like all not-intersectable light sources: point, spot, etc.).
I'm trying with my test scene..but I can't understand why you said that it become black...I've tested both with glossy and specular material and I can't see the black shape of the area light. Where am I wrong?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

marcatore wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:25 pm I'm trying with my test scene..but I can't understand why you said that it become black...I've tested both with glossy and specular material and I can't see the black shape of the area light. Where am I wrong?
It works as far as I know :?:
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:29 pm
B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:44 am The orange juice scene is now broken (it uses white shadow color for the glass).
It looks like you haven't updated your sources, like I wrote, I fixed that problem too.
I only tested the latest build from github (on Windows), which shows this problem.

edit: I can also reproduce the problem in the orange juice scene with a custom build from the latest sources, done on Linux.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:39 pm
Dade wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:29 pm
B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:44 am The orange juice scene is now broken (it uses white shadow color for the glass).
It looks like you haven't updated your sources, like I wrote, I fixed that problem too.
I only tested the latest build from github (on Windows), which shows this problem.

edit: I can also reproduce the problem in the orange juice scene with a custom build from the latest sources, done on Linux.
The builds are not updated, it has been fixed by this Sunday commit: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... 4aa0c2ca08
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

But I tested that on Linux, and it still shows the problem.
Is the orange juice scene working fine on your end?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:42 pm But I tested that on Linux, and it still shows the problem.
Is the orange juice scene working fine on your end?
Yes, it does.
Fox

Post by Fox »

The orange juice scene is broken for me too. But i only tested CPU path.
Bidir works.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Ok, now the latest Windows build works correctly.