export IES file from Luzrender

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
walt17

export IES file from Luzrender

Post by walt17 »

Hello,
I am a regular user of Luxcorerender.

We are producing a new modular lighting system (LUO-light.com) for which we would like to create photometric ies files. We have contacted measuring laboratories to measure the real fixtures. According to the information we received, it is impossible to measure curved light sources accurately.

So I am looking for software that can create the photometric web from 3D models, especially from light-emitting curved meshes. I am aware that Luxcorerender does not have such a feature. Though, I imagine that it could be of interest for other users as well.

To summarize my questions: Is anyone aware of a software that can create ies files from any light-emitting 3D model? Could this be a feature worth to be integrated in Luxcorerender?

Thank you for your attention!
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: export IES file from Luzrender

Post by Dade »

Actually, you could build such tool around LuxCoreRender: it would be about using BAKECPU to bake the lightmap of a sphere around the light-emitting 3D model (as accurate as possible, with more triangles as possible to approximate curved surfaces bot of the light emitter and the surrounding sphere). The light map should match what the corresponding photometric ies file is.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lighting_freak

Post by lighting_freak »

Hi,

I would be interested in such a tool as well.

Could you please be a little more specific how you might get some [cd] values from luxcorerender?

BR
OS - Windows 7 X64
CPU - Intel CORE i7
GPU1 - Variants of notebook card from nVidia
GPU2 - Variants of notebook onboard card from Intel
Lux - Latest possible relaease
walt17

Post by walt17 »

Hi,
I missed this discussion because I was not logged in for months.
I will post this topic on the developer's forum as well and link the discussion here in case there is some interesting answer.
walt17

Post by walt17 »

Hi Dade,
thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic.
I am not familiar with the BakeCPU feature and have not found documentation about it.

But it sounds that it could be part of the solution. However, one sphere is not enough to project the lightmap on. There should be several concentric spheres around the luminaire and the question is how to export the light map values into a plain text IES format?