Performance Radeon Pro vs Nvidia RTX

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Performance Radeon Pro vs Nvidia RTX

Post by Sharlybg »

From a user perspective choosing between Nvidia and ATI seems very difficult at the moment. I considered upgrading my hardware with an ATI card, but maybe I should wait a little more...
current time is one of the worst period to buy GPU. new GPU from AMD and NVIDIA are coming soon arround september with way much performance. if you can't wait just buy the smallest RTX card you can afford (RTX 2060) and keep the extra money for next gen GPU.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Storen

Post by Storen »

Sharlybg wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:02 pmcoming soon arround september
I didn't know, thanks for the advice!
Sharlybg wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:02 pmjust buy the smallest RTX card you can afford (RTX 2060)
That is what I have right now and it is OK for still images. I was planning on rendering some high-res animations, but they will have to wait.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

That is what I have right now and it is OK for still images. I was planning on rendering some high-res animations, but they will have to wait.
I don't think going from 2060 to 2080 Ti will help really in high res animation :( :

2X resolution = 4X render time
still to animation = 24 or 60(4X render time)

and 2060 to 2080 ti is at max 3X performance Jump. So why not consider Render Farm ;) :

https://sarfis.xyz/

https://render.st/engine-luxrender/
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Storen

Post by Storen »

Sharlybg wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:28 pmSo why not consider Render Farm
I've never used a render farm before. It is a good idea, I'll try them.

Thanks for the Links!
Storen

Post by Storen »

Sharlybg wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:28 pmSo why not consider Render Farm
I checked the price calculator of render.st and unfortunately, it doesn't look very promising. See the attached image.

I am working on a jewelry product catalog for about 500 products. The scenes are super simple. A single image renders for about 7m. I expect one frame to take the same amount of time. In the next several months, I'll try to make 200-300 simple 360-turning videos. Each will be 10 seconds, 24 frames per second. So that is roughly 72000 frames or 8400 hours or one year if I render nonstop :)))

In the current machine, I have one GTX1060 and one RTX2060S. I was thinking of replacing the GTX1060 with one very high-end Nvidia or ATI GPU.

If I can speed up the rendering 3 times for $2-3K I would be super happy! With the render farm according to this price calculator, 300 clips will cost me roughly $20K. Unfortunately, I cannot afford that...
Attachments
Prices.png
mib2berlin

Post by mib2berlin »

@Storen
Hi, keep in mind Dade is working on Optix implementation.
It render 2-4 times faster than Cuda for other render engines.
I guess there is no reason why it not work faster in Luxcore, too.
Full power for RTX cards in the future.

Cheers, mib
Snowcarver

Post by Snowcarver »

Snowcarver wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:47 am GTX 1050 only 270 samples for 10 min :(
Such great difference between 1070?
Please tell me, is the difference between 1050 and 1070 so fatal? Or something with my one?