Opinion ...

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Theo_Gottwald

Opinion ...

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

Luxcore has a small community who do a very complicated Job really good.
Another thing is, how you can get a broad user-base for such a complicated project?

Most of the updates that are done, are possibly only welcome by a few users who really know the details of the engine "In depth".

So I would like to set the development focus a bit on "the average user" who just used Blender a while and is looking around.
He needs an easy and clear way to go.

He would like to have a collection of materials right away at hand with the render engine, sort of "Material Library VX" style.
He would need some stages that are already lighted so he can just place his Objects there and get forward.

He will also like to get a lot of example Scenes. There are some available, and the best is the "Food" Scene".
Because as a beginner you can just take that stage and these Materials from there and you have a starting point.
However its all in french, so this could be sorted a bit. Some more of this content would be good for new users.

Some easy stages with lights ... different sorts. Maybe some with HDR-Lighting?
Some Scenes which show Interior or Grass ... more examples which can be used as starting points.
And more "ready-to-go" Materials.

I am quite sure nearly all this is already on the harddrives of the developers.
Maybe they will just need some time to make it ready for the public.
Alternatively a Forum-Part which is dedicated only for "Example-Scenes" and ready made "Materials"?
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Join @Dreamstime and sell your Renderings to the world.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Opinion ...

Post by lacilaci »

Devs need to do the software part, not create content...

As far as content goes, Sharly created a basic library, check this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&p=23386#p23386

Other than that, making materials is one thing but, the big issue is proper textures and those are hard to get by in general. And user generated content also don't seem to age too well.
For example OTOY has online library at disposal which has a ton of materials etc, but the quality is all over the place and some are even outdated using old node setups or suboptimal mixing that makes shaders just overcomplicated etc...
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Theo_Gottwald wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:56 am He would like to have a collection of materials right away at hand with the render engine, sort of "Material Library VX" style.
This is what LoL is supposed to be (linked by Lacilaci).
Theo_Gottwald wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:56 am He would need some stages that are already lighted so he can just place his Objects there and get forward.
The idea also of adding a "stages" section (a list of studio-like setups with some background) to LoL quite interesting.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Theo_Gottwald

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

As a developer you know that most users of today (see VStudio itself) like it to get things done "By sticking ready made components together".
Luxrender is already working very good. To make these things that are here more usable, some "ready made" collections, with stuff that you can just "put together" would be helpful to get a broader community. Its a starting point. People have success and then they dig more into the deep.
And really i think such stuff will be much more easy for you to make then for example the (very nice) soap bubbles in the last update.
So which components are needed for a Scene?
Light, Material, a stage?
I am not a pro, I assume you know the parts. How can it be made easily available to users as a starting point?

@lacilacy: OTOY has as library that is a good starting point. As far as I can say, the AMD Render also comes with a Material Library.
Its just a good starting point if you already have some stuff you can just put together to get a result.
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Join @Dreamstime and sell your Renderings to the world.