RT Mod

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

RT Mod

Post by Sharlybg »

Just wonder :

___ Why Material preview always show rough glass totally Dark

___ If RT will support GPU acceleration
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: RT Mod

Post by Dade »

Sharlybg wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:34 am Just wonder :

___ Why Material preview always show rough glass totally Dark
The default specular max. path depth ("path.pathdepth.specular") is set to 3 and it is not enough to render 2 overlapped glass surfaces (i.e. 4 bounces). Yes, it may be better to raise the default limit to 5.
Sharlybg wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:34 am ___ If RT will support GPU acceleration
It is already available (and I think it is also supported by BlendLuxCore). However you are going to hit a lot of kernel compilations when you edit materials, textures, etc. It is the reason why the CPU version is better.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Rough glass is a glossy material. Glossy depth was set to 2.
I raised it to three and now rough glass works as expected.
Dade wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:14 am It is already available (and I think it is also supported by BlendLuxCore).
In BlendLuxCore it is currently not possible to use RT OpenCL.
It would be easy to expose, but as you said, it is usually not worth the trouble to use it because of the many recompilations.
Eventually I will expose this setting, it is just one of the things where the time/gain ratio was bad ;)
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Dade wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:14 am
Sharlybg wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:34 am ___ If RT will support GPU acceleration
It is already available (and I think it is also supported by BlendLuxCore). However you are going to hit a lot of kernel compilations when you edit materials, textures, etc. It is the reason why the CPU version is better.
This is directly from "Bring Arnold to GPU" presentation at last GTC (http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2018/video/S8841/):
arnold.jpg
It shows how CPUs generate the first samples faster than GPUs while the GPUs win on the long run. Exactly why we use RTPATHCPU over RTPATHOCL.

The Redshift presentation is quite interesting too: http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2018/video/S8404/

Big new features:

- light groups AOV ... check, done many years ago
- Ray traced SSS ... check, done many years ago

Ahhh, we may have done a lot of wrong things in 10 years of LuxRender but we have also seen a lot of stuff coming many years before some of the major player in this field :mrgreen:
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Yes, Lux is an amazing engine and you're practically all real geniuses - great minds with big hearts :D
Simply can't express how grateful i am... so hopefully i'll show it ;)