Orthographic camera misbehaviour

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
wasd

Orthographic camera misbehaviour

Post by wasd »

If camera is higher than 64 meters (my scale is 1.0, so it is 64 units) above XY plane and lower than 256, then it behave badly and mistreats lenses. See that zoomed in circle in the center, it should not be.
misbe1.png
And a little further z than 256:
misbe2.png
I think this also happen with negative z values.

upd: in a scene with unit scale 3.0, its 17 meters where camera produce that circle.
upd2: there's some complex correlation, numbers 64 and 256 seems to be valid only for attached scene.
Attachments
tessar-test.zip
(610.03 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
CPU Bidir + Metropolis | Core i5-4570
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Orthographic camera misbehaviour

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

The addon for Blender 2.79 is no longer maintained. Does the problem also happen with Blender 2.82a?
wasd

Post by wasd »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:41 am The addon for Blender 2.79 is no longer maintained. Does the problem also happen with Blender 2.82a?
Yes.
misbe3.png
Attachments
tessar-test-282a-lc24.zip
(608.05 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
wasd

Post by wasd »

:(
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

I can't say anything about the z-issue, but another thing about your lens setup wasd:

When you simulate a lens setup, you should use a thin cube of matte transulcent material as a "detector" (or "sensor"), end observe this detector from behind with a camera. If you use just a camera, you will essentially get a zero-size aperture image (depending on camera settings like DOF, but somehow it does not behave like I expect, also with the perspective camera).

See a modified file attached. The deetctor is just placed roughly in focus. I moved all the objects around a bit in the process (like also the checkerboard) of figuring out whats what, so don't be surprised. here is the result. You can now also see vignetting in the corners:
tessartest.png
For some reason, the "Detector" needs to be a thin but not too thin object to work reliably. If I set up a test scene from scratch with just one lens etc, a simple matte translucent plane works also, but it didn't in this file :?:
Attachments
tessar-test-CodeHD.zip
(736.27 KiB) Downloaded 190 times