Caustics

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Post Reply
User avatar
Odilkhan Yakubov
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:07 pm
Location: Tashkent, Uzbekistan

Caustics

Post by Odilkhan Yakubov » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:26 am

Hi there. How to create this kind of caustics in the renderer:
[http://www.yafaray.org/sites/default/fi ... lights.png]
Image

Philstix
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:48 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Caustics

Post by Philstix » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:25 am

Creation of caustics requires the use of the bidirectional renderer.

Here's one I prepared earlier: download/file.php?id=625&mode=view

User avatar
Odilkhan Yakubov
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:07 pm
Location: Tashkent, Uzbekistan

Re: Caustics

Post by Odilkhan Yakubov » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:08 am

Philstix wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:25 am
Creation of caustics requires the use of the bidirectional renderer.

Here's one I prepared earlier: download/file.php?id=625&mode=view
So, in real life, is that Path tracing isn't good for caustics as Cycles Pure pathtracer can't handle it?
Image

User avatar
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Posts: 3872
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:08 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Caustics

Post by B.Y.O.B. » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:53 am

Odilkhan Yakubov wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:26 am
Hi there. How to create this kind of caustics in the renderer:
Use one small, dominant light source in the scene (e.g. a small meshlight or a sun light).

You can render caustics with an unidirectional pathtracer, but it is going to take much longer than bidir to get noise-free in most scenes.

User avatar
Odilkhan Yakubov
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:07 pm
Location: Tashkent, Uzbekistan

Re: Caustics

Post by Odilkhan Yakubov » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:18 pm

B.Y.O.B. wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:53 am
Odilkhan Yakubov wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:26 am
Hi there. How to create this kind of caustics in the renderer:
Use one small, dominant light source in the scene (e.g. a small meshlight or a sun light).

You can render caustics with an unidirectional pathtracer, but it is going to take much longer than bidir to get noise-free in most scenes.
Uni? There is hasnt that integrator in Lux?
Image

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Caustics

Post by Dade » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:50 pm

Odilkhan Yakubov wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:18 pm
B.Y.O.B. wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:53 am
Odilkhan Yakubov wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:26 am
Hi there. How to create this kind of caustics in the renderer:
Use one small, dominant light source in the scene (e.g. a small meshlight or a sun light).

You can render caustics with an unidirectional pathtracer, but it is going to take much longer than bidir to get noise-free in most scenes.
Uni? There is hasnt that integrator in Lux?
Yes, PATHCPU/OCL is an unidirectional path tracer while BIDIRCPU is bidirectional.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
Odilkhan Yakubov
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:07 pm
Location: Tashkent, Uzbekistan

Re: Caustics

Post by Odilkhan Yakubov » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:22 pm

I just using CPU for rendering.
Image

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Caustics

Post by Dade » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:08 pm

Odilkhan Yakubov wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:22 pm
I just using CPU for rendering.
Well, you can still use PATHCPU, it can be a lot faster than BIDIRCPU if the scene has "simple" light paths.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Post Reply