ISSUE: Fire and Smoke in Blender 2.82

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

ISSUE: Fire and Smoke in Blender 2.82

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Since Blender 2.82 Material Fire and Smoke does not work: "Object "Cube.Domain" is not a smoke domain!".
Reason is most probably change of fluid physics with last changes in Blender.

See next image for details.
2020.03.18_Issue_Fire and Smoke
2020.03.18_Issue_Fire and Smoke
Please help with support how to make a material based on OpenVDB in current BlendLuxCore or please fix scripts behind Material's button.issue
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: ISSUE: Fire and Smoke in Blender 2.82

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

There is an open issue about mantaflow API support: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... issues/380
FarbigeWelt wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:40 pm Please help with support how to make a material based on OpenVDB in current BlendLuxCore
I hope the attached example file and screenshot help. If something is not clear, feel free to ask :)
Attachments
Capture.PNG
2.82_smoke.blend
Don't forget to bake the smoke before rendering.
(628.58 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Here is another example, this time with fire.
The colors in the band texture are just eyeballed, and I'm not sure what value range is actually in the heat_xxx.vdb files, but it should be a starting point.
Unfortunately mantaflow does not put everything into one .vdb file per frame, it would make the node setups much more convenient.
Attachments
untitled.jpg
Capture2.PNG
2.82_smoke.blend
(671.54 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:55 pm I hope the attached example file and screenshot help. If something is not clear, feel free to ask :)
B.Y.O.B. wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:26 pm Here is another example, this time with fire.
The colors in the band texture are just eyeballed, and I'm not sure what value range is actually in the heat_xxx.vdb files, but it should be a starting point.
Unfortunately mantaflow does not put everything into one .vdb file per frame, it would make the node setups much more convenient.
Actually your help is very appreciated but Blender struggled me setting up my scene in a rather lazy way. I first had to understand the handling of fire and smoke. Sometimes smoke and fire showed up and sometimes it did not. Additionally I tried obviously something that worked not reliably.

First, I show the misleading approach putting all domains into one Volume. It is possible to duplicate a domain but one has to have a separate node Open VDB File for each domain. By the way, I had to double check menu Add until I found the require node under Add>Texture>Open VDB File.
The attachment 2020-03-20 (1).png is no longer available
All domains in the same Volume and Material
All domains in the same Volume and Material
The fires showed up well until I started changing their parameters. After Free Data and Bake again I was not able to reproduce the fires. Quite annoyed I had to bite into the german sour apple and create for each domain Material and corresponding Volume.
All domains in the same Volume
And now the final LuxCoreRender with almost all burners active (looks like I missed one).

Click image to run GIF animation.
Oil companies flared together 145 billion cubic meters gas world wide in 2018.
This is 2.7 times EU's bio gas production in the same years.
This huge volume bio gas values 10.4 billion Euro. The energy equivalent is 174 TWh energy.
With this amount of energy 13.1 million medium class cars could run a year.
But oil companies tell public this volume is much too less to collect, clean and distribute the gas. Flaring the gas is so much easier and cheaper.
Wasting energy willingly for 13.1 million cars every year with the production of poisonous carbon dioxide, one of the earth's climate killer.
Bio gas production is not gratis, it is quite an effort to gain sustainable energy. The wasted gas of fossil raw oil 'production' is a gratis side product. Cleaning fossil gases adds cost and produces e.g. acid waste water. Okay. But! There are technically long time available ways to produce natural gas industrial grade and if smartly engineered the cleaning produces e.g. valuable pure sulfur.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
MattRM

Post by MattRM »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:26 pm Here is another example, this time with fire.
Thanks for this setup, it works very well ;)

Matt