spectral rendering

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Noah_

spectral rendering

Post by Noah_ »

would it be possible for luxcore to be completely spectral as indigo or ... isn't it planned?
Full Hybrid Back/Forward path tracing - I don't like clamping - Bidir it's great but very slow - I have 4096 MiB de Vram and I want to cry.
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Re: spectral rendering

Post by CodeHD »

There have recently been some threads on this topic that might answer your question. Also, it was not in the features poll for 2.3, so no I don't think anyone is actively working on it.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1728
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1833
Noah_

Post by Noah_ »

CodeHD wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:44 am There have recently been some threads on this topic that might answer your question. Also, it was not in the features poll for 2.3, so no I don't think anyone is actively working on it.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1728
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1833
yes, from those topics I had seen this spectral render.

Is it in the developers idea to do this in some future?
Full Hybrid Back/Forward path tracing - I don't like clamping - Bidir it's great but very slow - I have 4096 MiB de Vram and I want to cry.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Is it in the developers idea to do this in some future?
Clearly yes. But it is a priority trade off .
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Glendaloch

Post by Glendaloch »

Must say that that I am very disappointed at this turn of events....think that Luxrender was an incredible happening, amazing renderer. Really better than both Indigo and Maxwell. I know the code is old and speed is everything nowadays to some...but it just seems most unfortunate that it is not even maintained until luxcore gets to this stage in development...
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I have split some off-topic posts about a specific scene into a separate thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1858
MetinSeven

Post by MetinSeven »

Is there any news about the spectral implementation in Luxcore? Cycles has a spectral build these days, which will probably be merged with the regular build in the near future:

https://blender.community/c/graphicall/Cnbbbc/
visualizer • illustrator • animator • 3D designer — metinseven.nl
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

MetinSeven wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:04 am Is there any news about the spectral implementation in Luxcore? Cycles has a spectral build these days, which will probably be merged with the regular build in the near future:

https://blender.community/c/graphicall/Cnbbbc/
Strangelly i was looking for spectral vs rgb comparison yesterday.
With the whole industry going to realtime realistic raytracing i doubt The Luxcore project can afford the performance penalty attached to spectral rendering.
I wonder also how much visual quality spectral render can bring to the table compared to RGB asides corner cases.
I am a realism afficionados i like quality but i'm sadly not a Devs. :mrgreen:

MetinSeven

Post by MetinSeven »

Thanks for your reply.

From what I've read, spectral rendering would only cause a bit more noise because an extra layer of information needs to be processed, but should not necessarily cost a lot of render efficiency, while the advantages would be an improvement in realistic surface color appearance / interaction, and more realistic spectral light effects.

I believe Octane is also a spectral renderer. From what I've heard it's quite fast despite that.
visualizer • illustrator • animator • 3D designer — metinseven.nl
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Octane system is very flexible. Octane is both RGB and Spectral on demand. For people and project with that need it is great when it isn't necessary just switch back to RGB.

I think we can make the Bidir engine of Luxcore more usefull by making it spectral and also add stuff for speed up like path guiding it can lead to sds caustic problem fix.
So for people with strong need for realism it will be the ultimate weapon.
We need Dade twin :mrgreen:
Or BYOB Sayen mod :D :mrgreen: