spectral rendering

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: spectral rendering

Post by Sharlybg »

daros wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:57 am I imagine luxrender as a rendering engine which delivers state of the art rendering quality wen using bidir, spectral or not, but by sacrificing speed. however LuxCore offers alternaive engines which allow you a realtime experience at lower quality. That means that the production process is done using faster engines and the final renderings using bidir. To archive that all rendering engines should be slightly better alligned as they are which should not be difficult.
Not everyone can afford to render project with Bidir Engine. Even if i'm a big Fan of this render mode :D some further tweak can make it a strong alternative for normal User :

__SDS caustics support
__something like path guiding wich can bring 8X performance Speed up
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
daros

Post by daros »

Sharlybg wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:27 pm
daros wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:57 am I imagine luxrender as a rendering engine which delivers state of the art rendering quality wen using bidir, spectral or not, but by sacrificing speed. however LuxCore offers alternaive engines which allow you a realtime experience at lower quality. That means that the production process is done using faster engines and the final renderings using bidir. To archive that all rendering engines should be slightly better alligned as they are which should not be difficult.
Not everyone can afford to render project with Bidir Engine. Even if i'm a big Fan of this render mode :D some further tweak can make it a strong alternative for normal User :

__SDS caustics support
__something like path guiding wich can bring 8X performance Speed up
oh...but i understood that Luxcores mission is promising something different: "we will not compromise on quality and physical correctness." It is full of gpu path tracers, gpl, free and commercial. Only a valid open Bidir alternative is missing. The problem with bidir is very complex. People which do not has a very trained eye do not even sees the difference between pathtracing and bidir. A professional architecture photographer sees the difference immediately. I think that a robust bidir with the support of a fast gpu path tracer would be very interesting in the long therm view. I hope you will not put the development of bidir on a dead end.
daros

Post by daros »

Bidir or everything else which delivers this kind of precision...
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

I really like realism and each time i render in Bidir mode i'm impressed. from shadow to light to surface treatment everything look like on another Level.
The CGI look every render suffer from seem to disappear automatically ;)

I remenber one older project where i compared Path Vs Bidir on the forum but can't find it. instead i fall on this one : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=164&hilit=japan+taste

Imagine a Bidir on steroid (aka path guiding for example ) + a ryzen 5950X the dream :D
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
lighting_freak

Post by lighting_freak »

Hi,
CodeHD wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:54 am If one coniders scientists and engineers, you have to have a clear idea what features you would offer them (and advertise as such).
I really have a clear idea...
I'd like to have a photometric real world visualisation, using physics based light sources that interacts with physics based surfaces and volumes.
The result should be kind of a luminance map that stores the luminance values and the color coordinates.
Some kind of output generation would be lovely too, something like human eye tone mappers or false color interpretation...

But step by step:
Sharlybg wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:38 am We need a new feature poll guided by vote and bounty support.
Does anybody know how to start some bounty support?
Thank you.

BR
OS - Windows 7 X64
CPU - Intel CORE i7
GPU1 - Variants of notebook card from nVidia
GPU2 - Variants of notebook onboard card from Intel
Lux - Latest possible relaease
Theo_Gottwald

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

Take a look here. May be in the same way?
Its advisable to coordinate all such things with the devs.

https://www.bountysource.com/issues/63168810-rounded-edges-shader
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Join @Dreamstime and sell your Renderings to the world.
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

Before a new feature poll is started, it is probably worth it to compile a cleaned-up list of feature requests.

Currently, there are GitHub issues, a collection on the (not so frequently updated) Trello page, and then wishes/thoughts/opinions scattered here and there throughout the forums and Discord, where they eventually get burried under new stuff.

I think a pinned thread on this forum could be the best option: It stays up at the top, everyone can post new suggestions (but keep discussiosn to other threads or Discord), and the original author + mods can always edit the first post to keep the collected info up to date.
When the time comes, the thread is replaced with a feature poll.
After the poll is closed, a new thread can be opened that lists the previous poll picks (so people know what is already being worked on), carries over the unpicked options, and opens again for new suggestions.

This is just an idea of course. Dade and B.Y.O.B. should have the say on how they want to organise this (or not at the moment), since they will likely end up being the people who execute most of the work :D

Which brings me to another point: Involving new developers. I think a feature poll can be a good opportunity for this, as it provides a bit of a cut where you can assign features to people interested to have a go.
I have been interested since I joined here, just my lack of practical experience with C++ has not yet caught up to the tasks :lol: Same with the specific algorithms used for ray tracing.
At the moment I have a lot of time and try a bit more in that direciton, specifically I've started some work on the lens-flare calculation that was recently posted also on GitHub.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

There is a pinned thread from the last poll for version 2.3 here.
While now already version 2.5 is under development, three top items from that list, Disney 2015 shader with transparency, BiDirVM and the Bevel shader (which was even voted for in the v2.1 poll) are still not implemented (path guiding was discarded).
Also the baking pipeline in LuxCore is not yet accessible from Blender.

So I wonder why to make a new poll when the last is not yet worked through?

(btw I definitely would support guided spectral BiDirVM) :mrgreen:
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

epilectrolytics wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:06 pm So I wonder why to make a new poll when the last is not yet worked through?
Because since the v2.3 poll, 2.4 has already been completed ;)

You also want this for the sake of answering such requests. If you have an up-to-date list, you can say "look, it is already on our list". If that list is a year old and named after the pre-previous version, it will not be very reassuring :D