Magnifying lens not accurate

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Seth

Magnifying lens not accurate

Post by Seth »

I am trying to make a physics accurate magnifying lens in blender using luxcore. I have found however that when I set up the object and camera as they would be in real life, the magnification is wrong. I have done the calculation by hand, and the magnification in one example should be 3.33x while in the program it is measured to be only about 1.8-2.1x. The correct magnification is only found when the camera is moved the image distance away from the lens. This has been tested with different setups, and even though I can see no relation, it is not a coincidence; the camera has to be the image distance away from the lens to obtain the correct magnification.

So my question is: is Luxcore capable of real-life accurate lens simulations? If it is not, I am at an end to my quest, but if it can be accurate then I have to figure out what is causing the issue with magnification in my setup.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Magnifying lens not accurate

Post by Dade »

Seth wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:21 pm The correct magnification is only found when the camera is moved the image distance away from the lens
I don't understand you, what is an "image distance away" ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Re: Magnifying lens not accurate

Post by CodeHD »

Luxcore is definitely capable of doing physically accurate optics. I've done a couple things with it by now. Just last week i roughly modelled a 3D-printed magnification 3 telescope that I made from some cheap lenses I have. I roughly modelled the lenses by looks to have a working model - and it all worked fine.

The magnification of a magnifying glass generally depend on the distance object - magnifying glass - eye. So you will need to be more specific about your setup. In this case ideally a blend-file of your setup and the specification of the magnifying glass.