ENV cache persistence

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
User avatar
lacilaci
Donor
Posts: 1928
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 am

ENV cache persistence

Post by lacilaci » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:07 am

I don't like the feature much, but it can provide speedups even with lower settings than defaults.
The biggest problem is however not being able to use it in animations cause there are some heavy lighting shifts between frames.

Is there any timeframe on persistence file for this cache? Could it be saved together with photongi?

User avatar
lacilaci
Donor
Posts: 1928
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 am

Re: ENV cache persistence

Post by lacilaci » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:55 am

when interior is flooded with gi and almost no obstructions are there for environment then it is pretty stable though.
envid.mp4
(672.62 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Posts: 4389
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: Italy

Re: ENV cache persistence

Post by Dade » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:09 am

lacilaci wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:07 am
Is there any timeframe on persistence file for this cache?
Persistent cache is already supported (https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... e.cpp#L690), isn't it exposed in Blender ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
lacilaci
Donor
Posts: 1928
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 am

Re: ENV cache persistence

Post by lacilaci » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:12 am

Dade wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:09 am
lacilaci wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:07 am
Is there any timeframe on persistence file for this cache?
Persistent cache is already supported (https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... e.cpp#L690), isn't it exposed in Blender ?
Oh, so environment cache is stored together with photongi? same file?

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Posts: 4389
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: Italy

Re: ENV cache persistence

Post by Dade » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:27 am

lacilaci wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:12 am
Oh, so environment cache is stored together with photongi? same file?
No, it is a separate file/setting. I assume it should be available on the light panel among other parameters (there is one cache for each light).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
lacilaci
Donor
Posts: 1928
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 am

Re: ENV cache persistence

Post by lacilaci » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:34 am

Dade wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:27 am
lacilaci wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:12 am
Oh, so environment cache is stored together with photongi? same file?
No, it is a separate file/setting. I assume it should be available on the light panel among other parameters (there is one cache for each light).
@B.Y.O.B. (does @ even work?) I failed to find any settings related to env.cache persistence.

You say one for each light. Even regular area lights are building their env.cache?

epilectrolytics
Donor
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:06 am

Re: ENV cache persistence

Post by epilectrolytics » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:36 am

It is not yet implemented.

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Posts: 4389
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: Italy

Re: ENV cache persistence

Post by Dade » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:38 am

lacilaci wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:34 am
You say one for each light. Even regular area lights are building their env.cache?
No, no, only for env. light sources (i.e. HDR, Sun, Sky, etc.)
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Posts: 3614
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:08 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: ENV cache persistence

Post by B.Y.O.B. » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:39 am

lacilaci wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:34 am
@B.Y.O.B. (does @ even work?) I failed to find any settings related to env.cache persistence.
It's not yet exposed in the Blender addon.

@ in the forum doesn't create a notification, we tried a plugin for this but it had some issues.

User avatar
lacilaci
Donor
Posts: 1928
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 am

Re: ENV cache persistence

Post by lacilaci » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:45 am

Ok guys thanks. So that settles it then. Will test animations with env.cache once it is in blender.

By the way Dade, should I expect problems animating objects while having env cache? With photongi I disable material's property to use photongi and I can move object while also have pgi cache used from file.

However, what if I have animated tree(to cast shadows in interior) and saved env.cache. Or object moving in interior.. Can I expect problems there? Sorry for many questions.

Post Reply