sun/distant light reflection

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

sun/distant light reflection

Post by lacilaci »

scaling sun is visible in reflection, this looks terrible in cases where you can easily see the reflected sun/distant light.

indeally, as the sun would get bigger it would also get blurrier in reflection (as if behind clouds) so that we don't see a weird huge sharp ball when we need soft shadows from sun.

The other option would be keep sun small in reflection while large as a source of lighting.

Or best have control over how big the sun is in refl. and/or how sharp reflection it does...

Is this doable?
chafouin

Re: sun/distant light reflection

Post by chafouin »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:49 pm indeally, as the sun would get bigger it would also get blurrier in reflection (as if behind clouds) so that we don't see a weird huge sharp ball when we need soft shadows from sun.
Changing the blurriness of the reflection is something that is controlled by material roughness and should never be controlled on the light.
One thing that could help though is just giving a small edge falloff on that sun disk so it doesn't look too sharp.

I would rather get a way to disable sun specular to rely on an HDRI reflection instead, although I don't think it's possible with bidir. Not being able to control light path visibilities is a big drawback in LuxCore in my opinion, but that's the way it is.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

chafouin wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:03 am
One thing that could help though is just giving a small edge falloff on that sun disk so it doesn't look too sharp.
Oh yes, that's what I'm asking for. Poor wording.
I would rather get a way to disable sun specular to rely on an HDRI reflection instead, although I don't think it's possible with bidir.
No, I definitely wan't sun reflecion in most cases...
Not being able to control light path visibilities is a big drawback in LuxCore in my opinion, but that's the way it is.
Yes, I made this request long time ago: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCore/issues/148
provisory

Post by provisory »

chafouin wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:03 am ...but that's the way it is.