fabrics

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

fabrics

Post by lacilaci »

Anyone knows how to make good looking fabrics like these?
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qA5B2e
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: fabrics

Post by lacilaci »

I struggle a lot making any good looking fabrics, velvet shader is not even able to produce good looking velvet, cloth shader is slow to render hard to control and still has limited usage.

So I'm left with principled or matte material and on both of those I can't get any backscatter effect. For example in cycles you have fresnel node which you can even multiply and use as a mix factor between materials, but in luxcore those don't exist so I tried mixing velvet and disney but everything I come up with looks like vomit... :evil:

EDIT: Part of the problem might also be that mix material and velvet have both broken bump mapping :shock:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1676&p=19087#p19087
PetrT

Post by PetrT »

for cloth glossy shader can be used too info from wiki
with using multibounce
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

PetrT wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:45 pm for cloth glossy shader can be used too info from wiki
with using multibounce
Not only that this doesn't provide enough backscattering but due to the fact that glossy is broken, it even darkens at glancing angles (Disney doesn't have this problem)

Maybe combining Disney and velvet, but then mix material has broken bump mapping an velvet itself probably too.
On top of that luxcore doesn't have a fallof/fresnel node that could be used to force mixed material to appear based on facing normals.

Not sure what would be the best approach, but fstorm results are just mind blowing.