Volume IOR

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
wasd

Volume IOR

Post by wasd »

We can't really have any IOR on volumes, right? It's only surface which can have IOR?
CPU Bidir + Metropolis | Core i5-4570
Fox

Re: Volume IOR

Post by Fox »

Hetero volume has ior.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

wasd wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:52 pm We can't really have any IOR on volumes, right? It's only surface which can have IOR?
All volumes have IORs however it is used (i.e. there is refraction) only when the surface between them is glass.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

It is useful (and correct) to have IOR setting on volumes, because then LuxCore can calculate the intermediate IORs of the surfaces around the volumes automatically. E.g. the IOR for a surface that is a water-glass transition.
wasd

Post by wasd »

Dade wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:01 pm
wasd wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:52 pm We can't really have any IOR on volumes, right? It's only surface which can have IOR?
All volumes have IORs however it is used (i.e. there is refraction) only when the surface between them is glass.
Is there the way to simulate hot air for example?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

wasd wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:07 pm Is there the way to simulate hot air for example?
IOR is constant over all the volume so it is not possible to simulate hot air for desert-like optical illusions; they are the result of different air temperature => different density => different refraction. It would require to write same ad hoc code to do ray marching over an heterogeneous IOR volume. Not easy to do.
wasd

Post by wasd »

Dade wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:04 pm
wasd wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:07 pm Is there the way to simulate hot air for example?
IOR is constant over all the volume so it is not possible to simulate hot air for desert-like optical illusions; they are the result of different air temperature => different density => different refraction. It would require to write same ad hoc code to do ray marching over an heterogeneous IOR volume. Not easy to do.
I see. Then, is it possible to make something like Cycles Refraction node?
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/ ... ction.html
Here's an example https://youtu.be/3UacrK-wngw
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

wasd wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:55 pm I see. Then, is it possible to make something like Cycles Refraction node?
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/ ... ction.html
It is a node working on surfaces (like LuxCore glass, roughglass, etc.), not volumes so it is not applicable to your problem.
wasd

Post by wasd »

Dade wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:07 pm It is a node working on surfaces (like LuxCore glass, roughglass, etc.), not volumes so it is not applicable to your problem.
That's right. I just thought it might be good enough substitution for things like convections flows.