Light intensities and matching Cycles

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Light intensities and matching Cycles

Post by Dade »

But are you setting "exposure" parameter to 0 (i.e. EV = 0) ?

It is a bit strange because it is not a valid value and if you check the code you linked before, you will see it will scale everything by 0.0 at the end so you should get a black rendering.

What are exactly your settings ? Sensitivity, exposure, fstop ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
polyrhythm

Post by polyrhythm »

If it helps, 2.5 lux results in "proper" exposure for EV0. Meaning, I guess, middle gray is middle gray?
Illuminance is measured using a flat sensor; if the common value of C = 250 (unit: lux s ISO=lm s/m2 ISO) is used, an EV of zero (e.g., an aperture of f/1 and a shutter time of 1 sec) for ISO = 100 corresponds to an illuminance of 2.5 lux (0.23 fc). At EV = 15 (the "sunny sixteen" amount of light) the illuminance is 82,000 lux (7600 fc). For general photography, incident-light measurements are usually taken with a hemispherical sensor; the readings cannot be meaningfully related to illuminance.
chafouin

Post by chafouin »

Dade wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:06 am What are exactly your settings ? Sensitivity, exposure, fstop ?
F/1.0, Shutter speed 1s, ISO 100 which corresponds to EV100 0.
polyrhythm wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:16 pm If it helps, 2.5 lux results in "proper" exposure for EV0. Meaning, I guess, middle gray is middle gray?
Maybe this is the confusion here? When we say EV 0 corresponds to an illuminance of 2.5 lux, I don't think it means that 2.5 lux should read as a RGB 255 white pixel, but as 0.18 mid gray?
polyrhythm

Post by polyrhythm »

Maybe this is the confusion here? When we say EV 0 corresponds to an illuminance of 2.5 lux, I don't think it means that 2.5 lux should read as a RGB 255 white pixel, but as 0.18 mid gray?
Yep, that seems right to me.